[10]

"How the hell did you do that?" Jennifer asked, looking directly at Adam while she sat across from him the next day at lunch

The lunch room was busy, buzzing with multiple people from all four grades as they scrambled to get to their tables and the accumulating lunch lines. The group now sat at the lunch table, also including Cal and Michael Haze, while the rest of the football team occupied the rest of the long table.

"I told you I didn't fucking do it! She made me," Adam spat back, his teeth barring as this was now the third person he explained the situation to.

"Chill out, Adam." Colter shot back, not liking the way Adam was talking to his girl. The whole library thing had taken a very large toll on the four of them and their grouchy moods were now turned sour.

"I'm just tired of explaining." He sighed, discarding his half eaten sandwich to the side, throwing an apologetic look to both Jennifer and Colter.

"I still don't believe it," Cal shrugged. After confirmation from his friends and a brief sighting of his sister in the hall, he finally believed Talia was actually alive. He didn't, however, believe his innocent baby sister had said or done any of that stuff at the library.

She was too good of a person to ever confront someone so harshly the way they'd all described. Hell, he didn't even believe she talked to them at all. In his mind and past memories, he had stood up for Talia thousands of times as both the small group to his right and the football team seated to his left teased her. There was just no way they were talking about Talia Fox— his baby sister.

"She made you bark?" Cal's eyes lightened with amusement when Adam growled again.

"Yeah," Michael nudged Cal in agreement, stifling his laughter as he brought his hands up like a dog on its hind legs, lifting his chin in the air and howling like some type of wolf.

When he caught the attention of his rowdy teammates, they all laughed together causing Adam's face to redden. "Did you howl like that?" Michael continued laughing, fiving Cal when he joined in.

"I didn't say I howled!" Adam meant for it to come out sharp, but instead it came out whiny, his eyes closing and his head lolling back in frustration.

"Don't make fun of the guy completely," Maureen added. "We all know Talia's been acting a little different." All eyes were on her including Michael, but he clearly didn't know the real truth, he hadn't been there that dreadful night.

"Even her fashion sense has suddenly changed," Maureen's words came out more of a question as her tone rose higher towards the end. But images of the Talia before the incident and after were being compared in everyone's minds, and this time even Cal nodded.

Colter was busy thinking about what should've been everyone's main concern. Did no one, especially Cal, question how Talia was up and walking around? He was tired of bringing up the thoughts and memories of last Saturday, but for Christ sake they had buried her!