Chapter Twelve- Closer to You

The girl smiled ominously, her cheeks pink and rosy. She would have been unnerving and intimidating to anyone else, but to a dream demon? I think not. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that she was something more than her innocent cover.
" G r e e t i n g s , " she said quietly, her tiny hand still clutching my tuxedo.

"Uh, hey," I said, with a false insecurity. I snickered in my mind. "Name's Bill Cipher." I paused. "BUT YOU CAN CALL ME YOUR NEW LORD AND MASTER FOR ALL OF ETERNITY!" I screamed, cackling wildly as I engulfed her in a blue flame, rocketing her upwards. Her faces stayed a stony mask of calm. Only a moment of confusion passed in my mind until her eyes grew huge and black, inky liquid seeping out of them. She opened her mouth, the same liquid spilling out of it as a demonic, shrieking laugh escaped her. Her soul was a deep red, with a black presence tainting it. I rolled my eyes, burning it up with another blue fire and restoring its cheery bloodred. The ink popped out of existence with my snap.

"Geez, kid," I said, smirking. "If I wasn't a demon too, you would've given me a reeeeal good scare." My sarcasm was apparent. I peeked into her mind, and I saw something I hadn't seen since Strange had confronted me. As she chuckled dryly, I saw an equality to my power.
"My name's Chara," she said nonchalantly. "And if I'm correct," she added, "you're Bill Cipher."
"Ding ding ding!" I hollered with a showy exaggeration. "Fabulous! How did you know that, kid?"
She just chuckled. "Some of the players that have come down have had plenty to say about their worlds, and I've learned plenty about other dimensions."
"Players?" I inquired. "You....can see....through the fourth wall...too?"
Chara cackled. "If you try hard enough, you can even interact with them, but I haven't quite gotten there yet."
I was left in awe. If I mastered the skill of interacting with people behind the fourth wall, I could meet the true (Y/N), not just the version of them written into the story.

Ideas exploded in my mind. I snapped my fingers to open a black hole and let it swallow me.

Darkness engulfed me and I felt it tearing at my particles, trying desperately to rip me apart. I refused to let it, and instead pushed it outwards with a massive force, even an effort for me. Gray swirled around me, then it all flashed white. I seemed to be standing in a glowing box, pulsating with empty blackness. I glanced around me, my eyes landing on the front wall; words were mirrored on it as if it was glass

A beautiful face looked down from between the lines.

"That must be (Y/N)," I breathed, starstruck. As I said those words, they scrolled into their vision. Each new word described my actions and emotions. I figured that this was the work of the mysterious author. I knew she vaguely existed, and that I could sort of go rogue from her, but that wasn't enough. I had to eliminate her altogether and take control so I could be closer to (Y/N).

Closer to you.