Chapter Five - Roots, part one

~~~~~~~<Authors Note>
i may or may not be taking everybody's feels, caressing them happily, and then sticking them through a garbage disposal.

sorry i suppose.

qeb xrqelo tfii obqrok.

~~~~~~~~<Your POV>
You were still in the dreamscape with Bill, one hour having passed inside your mind. You sat with him amid the gray grass, a light breeze gently nudging the clouds across the sky. You and Bill searched for shapes peacefully as he wrapped his arm around you, letting you nestle your head in his shoulder.

"That one looks like.....an airplane.....with a top hat." you decided triumphantly. Bill smirked. "Hmm, that one looks like a triangle with a top hat!" He snickered, as if it was a joke you didn't quite understand. You glanced up thoughtfully. "That one....hmm, it looks like a guitar.....with a....top hat?...." Bill held back his laughter.

"Are you manipulating everything have a top hat?!" You looked up at his beautiful glowing golden eye, seeing a glint of mischievous delight. He glanced down at you, a smirk growing on his face.

You broke down in giggles as you and him sat up. In an act of childish revenge, you grabbed his top hat and swiped it off his head. You cackled an ran off with it, Bill following you briskly. You whipped around, dangling the top hat above your head playfully.

Worry flashed in Bill's eyes as he raced across the meadow, reaching his arm out towards you frantically.

He couldn't reach you before you settled the levitating top hat just above your head. He looked on in a frenzied worry.

You looked at him, tilting your head to one side inquisitively. Gravity almost seemed to shift, the hat just barely sliding. Neither you nor Bill lost your balance, but it was still a tad strange. He straightened his bow tie, trying to keep his professional demeanor over his nervousness. He conjured the musty old book, the golden triangle shimmering on its cover.

He frantically flipped through its pages while you took out a compact mirror from your pocket, admiring yourself smugly. To be honest, you loved his top hat, and realized it looked dapper on you too. Bill looked at his book worriedly, looked back at you, facepalmed, and went back to reading.

He finally reached the correct page and pointed to a paragraph. It had a picture of his hat, and had "Bill's Hat" written in a scrawling script. You giggled in your mind. Bill playfully scowled at you. "I know I'm more famous than you. Have people written about you?"

~~~~~<Bill's POV>
My thoughts raced like werewolves through a forest. How could they wear the hat? Why didn't it hurt them? Were they immune to it? Were they.....no, that's impossible.....is it? Could they really.....no.

"(Y/N), do you know who your parents are?" I asked worriedly.
"Yeah......they didn't like my insomnia all that much..." They glanced away, folding their arms in a regretful wistfulness. I rest my free hand on their shoulder reassuringly. "It's alright, you can trust me."

"My mom was always a tad strange, which was hilarious, because her name was actually Norma, but she wasn't normal. My dad's name, ironically enough, was like the opposite of hers. He always seemed utterly and completely normal. Opposites attract, though, so it seemed like the universe shipped them."

I paled in fear, barely uttering my question. "W-what was your d-dad's name....?"

"Tad Strange."

I froze.
No.
No no no no no no no no no no no no no.
NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I should have known. That's why they felt special. That's why the Axolotl chose them out of everyone who's ever lived in this universe. That's why they could never hardly sleep.
That's why their dreams were so vivid.
That's why they were neon and colorful in the Dreamscape.

(Y/N) was half-demon.