Chapter Four: For Insanity and Insomnia

You grabbed the remote to the TV, sitting down on your couch. You searched for something, anything to keep you awake. It had been two days since you'd met Bill and found out he was a demon.

You hadn't slept since.

You wanted to secretly see him again, but you knew you couldn't let yourself. It was too dangerous. He was a demon, for crying out loud- why did you have any reason to trust him?

In all fairness, he had been watching over you. You realized he must have been the one manipulating your dreams, and the only nightmares you had were that of your own mind. He did say something about not being as powerful as he used to be, didn't he? Maybe he couldn't stop them.

Your brain kept throwing more thoughts at you. He wanted to protect you. He gave you Crystal, although now she was gone because of your own mind unraveling her. He wanted you to be happy.

The other side of your brain screeched. trust no one. trust no one. trust no one. trust no one. trust no one.

You couldn't bring yourself not to trust Bill, even if only a little bit. Something about him was just.....captivating. He pulled you in, and you didn't quite want to let him go.

Your brain screamed at you again, growing louder and louder. TRUST NO ONE TRUST NO ONE TRUST NO ONE TRUST NO ONE TRUST NO ONE TRUST-

-him.

Trust him.

The other side of your mind spoke up in a much smaller voice.

Trust him.

The voice gradually grew.

Trust him. Trust him. Trust him.

Despite everything, you still trusted him.

You laid down on the couch, snuggled up, and fell asleep immediately.

~~~~~<Bill's POV>

I lay in the gray grass, staring up at the endless cloudy sky. A sigh of dejection escaped my lips. The wind whooshed around me, and an (f/c) blur faded into existence. I turned my head sharply in that direction, springing up abruptly. They sat up slowly, rubbing their eyes to adjust to the gray again. I saw the dark circles under their bloodshot eyes, and the stains of freshly dried tears. I felt the void where my heart should be seem to crack a little; they were putting themselves through this all to avoid me. The once chance I thought I had to actually know them, they ran away. I guess I really could trust no one.

I started towards their pale form, but they shuddered and looked away. Silent, shaky sobs wracked their body. I lay a hand on their shoulder in an attempt to comfort them. I poked into her mind, and with the emotions swirling about, I expected for them to slap it away when they twisted quickly, but she didn't. Instead, they hesitated for a second, but then grabbed my hand desperately, clinging to it like it was their only safe place in the world. "I want t-to trust you......s-so badly....."

I hugged them, letting them cry into my collarbone until the tears finally subsided. I murmured words of comfort into their ear. Two words were racing through one side, and three through the other. They jumbled and mixed, their emotions swirling like watercolors meeting.

Trust no one. Trust him. Trust no one. Trust him. I Trust no one. Trust him. Trust no one. Trust Trust him. Trust no one. Trust him. You Trust no one.
Trust him. Trust no one. Trust him.