Chapter 9 - We Keep Digging

The Impala 

Amber's Pov

It was early in the morning when Dean had woken me up so we could get back to the bunker. We were now in the car, and since Sam isn't here I got to ride shotgun. I was almost asleep before Dean broke the silence which woke me up again.

"So, uhm you and Matt... who is he anyway?" I looked over at him with a little confused look but answered anyway.

"He's a good friend of mine. He was there when I was at my lowest, in the past four months. He's nice." I found myself smiling with the thought of him.

"So, you like him?" I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Wha.. what? No, no he's... he's just a... great friend." I said panicking a little. He simply laughed at me. "What are you laughing at?" 

"You do like him." He said, suddenly turning from the protective father to the annoying older brother.

"Do not!" I said also turning childish. Even though it was a lie. I did like him a little, but I had no idea if he liked me back. And now that I'm with the Winchesters again the chance is zero. Dean continued to laugh at me. I hit his arm, but with a smile and I soon found myself laughing with him.

"Okay, okay if you say so." He said still with a grin on his face. "But What about Kendra? I mean I get why you want to save her, but it's just like there is something else." 

"I don't know, I mean I know I've only hung out with her for two days but... it's like I have this weird instinct to protect her or something." I said looking out the window for a moment. 

"Well, we'll find her. Soon." He said with a reassuring smile. I gave a smile back as the conversation ended and we continued to drive back home. 

~

The Bunker

Amber's Pov

"Hey, Sammy we're back!" I called out as we were walking down the stairs. Sam was sitting in the library doing research as usual. He looked up at us and smiled.

"Hey, did you find what you were looking for?" He asked.

"Well, Sort of..." I said as I walked into the library with Dean following behind. Sam looked at me confused.

"She lied. She didn't forget anything, she just wanted to go on a little date with her old friend Matt." Dean said as he sat down across from Sam. Sam's confusing turned to surprise.

 "It was not a date! We just wanted to hang out." I said smacking his arm as I sat down beside him. They both chuckled at me until Dean changed the subject.

"Did you talk to the demon?" he asked.

"Yeah, he didn't know anything." Sam sighed. "But I did a little digging on Kendra and uh..." He started as he found the information on his computer.

"She is fourteen, her family moves around a lot. They never stay at a place more than a couple of months. Her Father disappeared when she was four and oh...." He paused.

"What it is?" I asked. 

"In multiple towns, they lived in there had been reports on people being worry about Kendra. Saying they heard shouting and crying and things breaking." He paused again looking over at me. I looked back and forth between Sam & Dean before saying anything.

"I know that." I simply said. 

"What?" Dean asked.

"She told me. At school... After I told her what I had been through." I said looking down.

"You just told her? without hesitation?" Sam asked.

"I don't know why okay? I just felt like I could trust her." I said calmly. "Is there anything else?" 

"Uhm yeah. Apparently, she ran away from her mom about 5 months ago. She's been reported as a runaway." Sam said. 

"Okay, makes sense but can any of this help us find out where she is?" I asked. Sam looked down at he laptop disappointed.

"No, sorry there is nothing." He said as he gave me 'sorry' smile. 

"There is something that keeps bugging me," Dean spoke up. "Everything you just said, doesn't sound a lot like Amber's past?" He asked as he pointed at Sam. We thought about it for a moment.

"Yeah it does, actually," Sam said. "But why? And how? How can their past be so similar?" He asked.

"I don't know but maybe we should be a little more careful," Dean said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked annoyed.

"Look all I'm saying is, it sounds a little strange that Kendra, a girl you have only met twice, have almost the same past as you," Dean said.  I sighed but nodded.

"So, what do we do now?" I asked.

"We keep digging."

~

The Bunker 

Amber's Pov

8 weeks later

We have been looking for Kendra for eight weeks now without any luck whatsoever and it's freaking me out. Dean was out on a beer run while Sam is looking through some of the Men of Letter's books. And Me? I'm looking for any sort of sign of demonic activity on my laptop that could lead us to Kendra. Nothing. I finished another useless article and sigh loudly. Sam looks up from his books and over at me.

"Still nothing?" He asked.

"What do you think?" I asked way more harshly then I meant. He looks at me with surprised. "No, I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated that We haven't found anything yet."

"Look I know you are worried okay, I do. But you need to take it easy, okay? We are all tired." He said with his usual calm voice. I sighed again.

"I know, I'm sorry I'm just stressed out. What if can't find her? What if we do find her but when we do she's..." I couldn't finish.

"Don't think like that. We will find her. Alive." Sam said just as the front door opened and Dean came in and walked down the stairs.

"Hey, How's the research going?" He asked as he sat down beside me. 

"It's not going anywhere." I sighed as I looked at my laptop. 

"Well, why don't you close that and come with us on a little hunt?" He asked as he closed my laptop and pointed between him & Sam as he spoke. 

"No, we have to look for Kendra," I said as I started to open my computer again but Dean closed it again.

"It wasn't an option. You are going. you have been looking at that screen nonstop for two weeks. you need to clear your head." He said seriously. I looked back and forth between Sam & Dean knowing I wouldn't win if I tried to argue. 

"Fine, let's go." I sighed as I got up and walked to my room to pack. Please let this be a quick and easy salt & Burn case. 'Cause that happens, Never.