Chapter 2 - Hunter's Have Hearts

On The Road

Dean's Pov

"Sam this is stupid. I... I mean she probably doesn't want to see us. Maybe we should just turn around and go back to the bunker?" I said while driving towards Sioux Falls.

It had been four months since we left Amber at Jody's place. I haven't really talked about her much. But that doesn't mean I didn't think about her. Because I did. A lot. I kept trying to convince myself that what I did was right. But if it really was, then why did she react the way she did when we left? Sometimes Sam would try to bring it up but I always shut him down before he could get to me. But it's for the best. I can't raise a kid. I couldn't end up being like my dad.

"I mean you saw her. She was running and screaming for us but we still just left her. She doesn't want to see us."

"Come on man, we haven't talked to Jody or any of the other girls for four months so Jody invited us for dinner. Besides we promised Amber we would come visit her." Sam said trying to reason with me.

"Yeah, but that was four months ago. But now?"

"Hey, you were the one that didn't want to go back. Also, you never told me why." Sam said looking suspicious at me. I looked at him for a moment before looking back at the road.

"Look, I did find a case there were a few towns back we could turn around and-" I started but was cut off by Sam.

"No way, dude. I already put someone else on it so there is no going back. So tell me what are you so afraid of?" Sam asked.

"Look, it doesn't matter okay? Let's just get this stupid dinner over with, so we can go back to what's important."

"So, Amber isn't important? I don't believe that for a second." Sam said. Looking annoyed at me.

"No that's not what I meant... it's just..." I paused.

"Just what Dean?" He asked still sounding annoyed.

"Just what is she really does hate me uh? What... what if we show up and she would just yell at me and tell me to get lost or to never come back or something!" I admitted. Sam just looks me for a moment.

"What?" I asked annoyed.

"Nothing. I have just never seen you this worried before."

"Okay yeah, I'm a little worried. So what?" I asked still annoyed that he has the ability to make me talk about stuff like that.

"Nothing..." Sam said with a smile on his face. I didn't understand why, but I have to ask him about it at some point. The conversation kind of ended there, since I turned the music up so Sam couldn't say anything else. we just continued to drive towards Jody's.

~

Jody's house

Dean's Pov

We drove up to the house and parked the car in the driveway. I stepped out of the car and walked up to the front door with Sam right behind me. I knocked on the door and a few seconds later Jody came and opened the door.