CHAPTER 66: It always has been

Start from the beginning

"You sure you want to do this?" I said to Frisk as we approached the door to Asgore's office.
Luckily, his office was in the same building as the hospital, it seems that everything is working in my favor today—

Not.
Frisk, on the other hand, looked nervous to see the boss.

Now that I think about it, I don't think Frisk has seen Asgore yet..
Maybe that's why she's nervous. Maybe she's heard stories about him? No. Everyone knows he has a good soul.

The hallways was mostly quiet, until we started to hear the faint shouts of two monsters from the inside of the door.
I knew all too well who they were.

"Whelp." I said, turning a shoulder towards Frisk and away from the door. "Looks like Toriel and Asgore are going at it again. They're always arguing at this point." I shrugged. "I woulda taken you sooner, but, you can't exactly match on in there, toots." I looked at her, who was pondering slightly.
What's she planning?

"Let's come back later, okay?" I said, turning around and waving my hand to signal her to follow me. I listened for her footsteps to follow, but they never came.
I turned my head slightly to peer back at Frisk, just to make sure she was there and listening to me. "Hey— you comi-" I started to say casually, before I noticed frisk's hand was on the doorknob. "Frisk! No!" I hissed, as she opened the door with a swing.

"I TOLD Y-" Toriel froze mid sentence to look at the opened doors that Frisk had just opened. We were both visible from the doorway and Asgore's Office looked even bigger than it did the last time I had been in here. "My..." she held up her paws to her mouth and gasped, speaking much quieter than she had originally had been to Asgore, who was now standing up and pushing his chair back.

"Toriel.." He spoke sternly, as if a warning, putting his big paws on the desk in front of him.

Frisk was frozen in place, her eyes glued to the two Dreemurs, staring and unmoving. She was a statue at this point. Her eyes were clearing filling to the brim with tears once more.
"Sorry for the intrusion." I said, rocking on my feet, trying to break the silence. "Frisk I guess just couldn't wait." I spat, trying to emphasize that it was her who got into this mess. Though I didn't want to blame it on her, I told her this could wait. I could lose my position for this.

"Child.." Toriel continues, despite Asgore's warnings. She then runs up to Frisk and hugs her tightly, sobbing and gripping her tight. Frisk's sniffles turn into sobs as well and buried her head into Toriel's neck. She was involuntarily shaking.

This is so confusing. I have so many more questions.
What's going on?

As they continued to cry, Asgore sighed and walked over to Toriel, patting her on the shoulder. "She doesn't remember, Tori. There's nothing you can do." Asgore mumbled under their cries.

In an instant, the sad, happy tears became tears of rage in her eyes, and she whipped around, not letting go of Frisk; their arms stayed linked. "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" She screamed. "EVERYTHING! YOU—" she whimpered, "you abandoned us." She continued, not letting him speak. "You abandones us both! And Sans too! You betrayed this entire Mafia and left us to DIE!" She yelled once more.

Asgore abandoned me? What is she talking about? Why is no one telling me anything?!

"Toriel, what I did—" Asgore tried to reason with the unstable monster, hit Frisk's soft voice caught all of our attentions.

"I remember." She said, causing Tori's head to dart back to her direction, and the anger in her face fled for the hills, it seemed. "I remember everything." She spoke, sending a wave of shock through the Dremurrs.