Chapter 34

'Sorry Dr DuMaurier,' you say, 'but I think we're better off as friends.'

She nods. And gathers up her towel to cover herself, with dignity. 

She strides to her handbag and takes out an envelope. 'Take this,' she says. 'It's a fake passport and an airline ticket, and enough cash to see you through for a little while. There's an address in there, of a man who can add your photo to the passport. You've got enough cash for that, too.'

'But I can't just disappear, not like that,' you say. 'I've got a job, I've got a family. Friends. A house. An extensive record collection.'

'None of that matters if you're dead,' says Bedelia. She dresses quickly and picks up her suitcase. 'You can find your own way to the airport. It's best if we separate here.' She looks at you searchingly for a moment, and you wonder if you've made the wrong choice by deciding not to sleep with her.

Then she's gone.

You lie back on the bed, trying to understand the events of the past few hours. The horror and the passion, the pleasure and the unbelievable pain. You're tempted, despite what Bedelia has told you, to go back to your old life. 

While you're mulling it over, you fall asleep. 

You're awoken by a soft click of the door as it unlocks itself. Your eyes flicker open. In the half-light of the motel room you see a dark figure gliding across the carpet towards you. It has broad shoulders and a narrow waist, and the light gleams against what it is wearing. Some sort of shiny plastic suit.

The face comes out of shadow into light, and you see Hannibal Lecter's perfect face, the high cheekbones hollowed, the eyes dark pools. 

'Where is she?' he asks you, his voice hypnotic and attractive. You shake your head. 

Hannibal picks up the envelope that Bedelia left you and looks at its contents. He frowns, and you take the momentary distraction as a chance to jump off the bed and run for the door.

He catches you easily and holds you as you struggle. 'I have one final gift for you,' he tells you, and that is the last thing you hear.

THE END...do you want to try again?