Chapter 23

You go to Hannibal's bedroom. It is large and lavishly furnished, with a fire burning in the fireplace and fine bedlinen on the vast and stately bed.

The decor, however, pales into insignificance next to the beautiful man standing there with you.

'Now,' he says, 'where were we?' He turns to you and kisses you again. His careful, passionate caresses make you weak at the knees. You kiss him back but you can barely stand, and soon Hannibal is supporting you in his arms.

'Perhaps you would like to lie down,' he suggests, and suddenly scoops you up into his strong arms. He carries you effortlessly, as if you were weightless, and puts you gently down on the bed. He joins you there, lying beside you, smiling down into your face. His expression has more than a little bit of the conqueror.

Unfortunately at that moment, the wine you've drunk suddenly has an effect. You kiss Hannibal's cheek and murmur, 'I'm sorry to delay this, but I think I need to visit your bathroom.'

'Of course,' he says, smoothing your hair back and dropping a kiss on your forehead. 'It is the second door on the right.'

You stand, your knees still unsteady. 'I won't be a minute,' you say.

'I will be waiting.'

You walk—almost stagger, actually—out of the bedroom and onto the landing. It is lined with framed photographs and paintings, with side tables displaying sculptures and old-looking books. There are several doors of gleaming wood, all of them shut. 

You put your hand on the knob of the second door on the right, but as you do, you hear a strange sound from the third door. Something like a muffled cry. 

Frowning, you listen at the third door. It's there again. It sounds almost like 'Help me.'

If you open the third door, go to Chapter 25.

If you quickly use the bathroom and go back to Hannibal, go to Chapter 26.