35 ▹ past

• TOMMASO'S P.O.V. •

"We're moving in together!"

Nicole and I had announced this together, which made both Johnny and Candice's mouths hit the floor beneath them. Nicole was over-the-moon excited about this and so was I, of course, but it wasn't looking like Johnny and Candice were, though.

"What?" Johnny breathed out, blinking frantically in question.

"Yeah," Nicole cheered, smiling from ear to ear. "Well, I'm moving in with Tommaso, actually. But, still, we'll be living together. Isn't that great?"

I was watching both of their reactions, especially Candice, who was just a little more protective of Nicole than Johnny was. She was the one that was always looking out for Nicole over Johnny. I knew that, no matter what, Johnny would be supportive of both myself and Nicole's decisions. Candice was the one to watch, though.

"Great?" Candice finally breathed out, herself. I was a bit skeptical of how she was going to take it from here, but she took a total 360 and smiled. "This is awesome! I am so happy for you two!"

At first, Johnny and I didn't seem to believe her — especially him, who was eyeing his wife before she jumped up and hugged Nicole from across the table. He and I exchanged a quick look between each other before jumping up and hugging it out with everyone.

After Candice looped her arm with Nicole's, she dragged her away while I stood there with Johnny, who was burning a staring hole into me. I looked dead at him and asked: "What?"

Johnny came around the table and whispered to me: "Can I talk to you privately real quick?"

I didn't understand why he felt the need to pull me away, but he did and dragged me all the way into his and Candice's bedroom, shutting and locking the door behind us. I sat down on the edge of their bed and looked up at him, as he was now pacing.

Why is he being so damn dramatic for?

After thinking that he wasn't going say anything, just pace around in front of me, he finally blew up and exclaimed: "You asked her to move in with you?!"

Shit. I nodded and mumbled out, "Y-Yes..."

"What were you thinking?!" Johnny continued, nearly popping a vein out of his head. "This is Nik we're talking 'bout here... S-She's fragile and..."

"Fragile? What?"

He spun around on both heels and explained, "She just lost half of her heart a couple of months ago and, now, she's... Moving? I... It's like losing a child, like our baby is moving out. I don't like it."

I couldn't honestly believe that this is what this was all about. He was being this damn dramatic because he thinks of Nicole as being his child than friend? What the actual fuck?

"Johnny," came my warning tone, but he didn't appear like he was going to stop his rant any time soon.

"I support you two being together — you know that I do, but," he paused and sighed, "Candice and I had to watch her mourn her relationship with Pete for so many weeks. It was hard to see her transition from being this always-cheerful girl to being this depressed mess scattered across the floor. You love her and she loves you. That is obvious, but... I'm still scared to see her dive right into another serious relationship right after another. Y'know?"

I heard Johnny loud and clear, probably being the only guy in her life — apart from Trevor — that hasn't ever let her down. He would be the Best Man at her and my wedding, but — even if he wasn't already my best friend — I'm sure that Nicole would make it possible that he was still our Best Man.