09 ▹ nosebleed

"IT suits you," Tommaso said to me after I was all fixed-up by the trainer for my nose. He was in the open door of the room and leaning against the frame, studying me from the distance. "How's your nose?"

"Not broken," I replied and smiled at Roberto, our trainer, for placing the patch over it. "It was just a bad hit, but I should be better before next week."

He stepped further inside and asked, "How long do you have to wear it for?"

I looked to Roberto and breathed out, "What's the verdict, Doc?"

Roberto was between glancing through some papers on a clipboard and looking to Tommaso than me to answer: "Two days, tops."

"There you have it," I said to Tommaso and hopped down from the table, but it wasn't a big jump, though. "Who was the one who even did that to me out there?"

Instead of answering, Tommaso looked to his right and picked a single red rose from the bouquet that was in the vase for someone else. He extended the rose to me and, looking back at him in confusion, he explained: "It was me. I'm sorry. It wasn't supposed to be that bad."

Even though I was sort of mad that he was the one that did it, this was a side to him that I didn't know yet, but one that I wanted to get to know more. First, he had the courage to confess to me that it was him. Second, he actually said sorry for his mistake. Then, third, he was willing to give me a single red rose — stealing it — to act on his apology.

Nevertheless, I accepted the rose and my cheeks so matched the color of it. I brought it to my nose and took a whiff, which still smelt brand new full of flavors. "Thank you," I decided to say with a slight nod afterwards. "Just for the rose, not what you did to me. Even though, I do accept your apology. I get it. Accidents happen all the time."

There for a split second, it really looked like he was going to smile, but then, he just simply dimmed his eyes and slowly nodded. "You get it," he simply remarked. "I mean, you—"

He was suddenly cut-off by the sound of my phone going crazy. I didn't want to take any calls right now, but when I looked down and seen that it was Pete, I had to take it. "I-I'm sorry," I apologized to him quickly. "I have to take this. It's Pete."

He nodded and growled out: "I get it. Take your call."

I pressed the green button and brought the phone to my ear. "Hey, Pete," I greeted him on the other end. I don't even know what he said first, except for he was concerned and pissed about the whole bloody nose incident. I had to watch Tommaso looked hurt that I took the call over him and walk out.

"—there was so much blood," is when I began to hear Pete again on the phone after being distracted by Tommaso. "How the hell did you get back up? I am going to rip Tommaso open for this!"

"Don't," I simply said out after finally finding my voice. I held the rose to my nose, twirling it around in my fingertips, and smelling it all over again. "He didn't mean to do that. He's already apologized, too. Accidents happen all the time."

"All I'm saying is that your first match could've easily turned into your last match in a heartbeat," he pointed out and he was sort of right, too, considering. "Next time, no extra effects to get you even more injured. Alright?"

"Yes, Dad," I deadpanned, teasing, and rolled my eyes. I spotted Tommaso passing by the door again, going the other way. "I have to go now, so that I can leave and go home. Call you later. Love you."

"Love you," he said before we both hung-up on one another. I threw my phone in my back pocket and headed out of the trainer's room to find Tommaso once again.

I staggered down the hallway, glancing all around, but I couldn't find him anymore. It was like he was a ghost and, when I went to go find him, he was gone. Most of the doors were closed and locked, but he was nowhere to be found. Nowhere at all...

"Nik?" I heard someone say and spun around, expecting Tommaso to be finding me first. Then again, he calls me Nicole — not Nik. There Trev stood, concern and confusion written all over his face. "You alright? Looking for someone?"

If only he knew... "Not really," I decided to say with a shrug. "What's up? You headed out?"

"Yeah," he agreed, nodding. "I have to just wait on Bianca. She should be getting out of the shower any minute now."

Oh, here we go... "Oh, yeah? How are y'all?" I asked the desired questions. "I feel like that I don't see y'all anymore, especially her."

"She's Bianca," he shrugged and tried to crack a smile. She was in her own category of personality. "She's doing good, just stays with me all the time now. Hope you don't mind."

"I don't," I smiled and dimmed my eyes from his. "She's happy and clearly head-over-heels in love. I can't stop her. She was there with me all this time with Pete, so... It's time for her to feel the love, too."

"Yeah," he breathed out and looked down at his boots. "Well, I best get-going. She's probably looking for me."

"Y'know, if you want," I spoke up before he could officially turn his back on me, "I could just tell her that I never saw you, so that you can get away, like the old days."

It looked like he took that into consideration, but only for a split second, before he shook his head and dead-on stated: "I can't. She's my girlfriend now, Nik. I have to treat her like so, even if a harmless prank would be nice right now. I'm sorry."

For whatever reason, he apologized and I didn't know why. Nevertheless, I didn't say anything as he turned his back on me and went through the door. There he was, now gone and almost like a memory to me now.

So, there I was, all alone now — in more ways than one. Somehow, I found the will again. I went to my locker room, gathered my things — as I was the only one left — and got in my car to go home. I drove in silence, for the most part, except for the soft music playing in the background.

I walked in my apartment door, after unlocking it, and shut it immediately after I walked in and locked it again. I walked over to my couch, tossed the keys onto the coffee table, and fell onto it. I placed my feet on the table, too, and just sat there in complete and utter silence.

I promised Pete that I would call him again, but I really didn't feel like it. All I wanted to do was sit here, with this patch over my face, and sleep it all off.

So, when I finally crawled to my bed from the couch and got comfortable after my shower, I began to sleep — but not without Tommaso crossing my mind at least once in a while...

• Oh, it's true... It's DAMN true! Also, guys, thanks to fabandboujee_ (Lyssa), I may or may not be completely head-over-heels and in-fucking-love with Elias Samson (even tho, he's just going by Elias now). So, thanks, "bestie." 😑 I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS, Y'KNOW!? 📣 Anyways... Check out her very own Elias story, if you haven't already, cuz it is the BOMB-DOT-COM! You can find it on her page Also, don't be a SILENT READER! If you like something, tell me in the comments below! And, you don't like something, tell me! I love all the feedback 🙌🏻 All the love .xx •