Chapter Fifteen

The cave was silent. While Ivy usually didn't mind quiet, it was starting to get a little creepy. The cave walls were filled with strange murals and dotted with glass-like orbs filled with swirling light in varying sizes. There was also carvings in languages that Ivy nor the others could understand.

As she trailed behind to gaze at a strange creature being surrounded by fire, she heard Rowan gasp and her lantern smash against the cold, hard ground, plunging them into darkness

Just as she was about to move away from the art, a large hand clamped down over her mouth and she felt the cool edge of a blade graze her throat.

"Who gave you the right to be here, Landwalker?" A harsh voice growled in Ivy's ear.

She struggled against the rough hand, only producing a squeak of indignation. Frustration overwhelmed her and suddenly she bit down, her teeth sinking into her captor's skin.

In a blur of motion she unsheathed her sword and rammed her elbow into a solid body. She kicked at leather booted feet and ended up stood over a hooded figure.

Pink and orange flames lit up the scene as Ivy flicked away the hood with the tip of her sword. "And what gives you the right to attack me..." She fumbled for the right word to say. "...cave dweller."

Sprawled on the ground, her opponent didn't seem too harsh. It was a boy that Ivy judged to be a little older than herself. His shaggy white hair covered most of his face which was screwed up in pain. As she focused on him, Ivy could sense waves of shock, determination and a hint of sadness.

"Who are you?" They both asked in unison.

The boy huffed grumpily as he sat up. "Tyran Finguard. Yourself?"

"I'm Ivy and these are my friends, Elise and Rowan." Ivy said as the girls joined her side.

Tyran cringed away from the bright flames as Rowan hesitantly examined him. "Weren't you just down there?" She asked curiously.

The boy huffed again. "Landwalkers can be so naive. I thought it was common knowledge that everyone in Gleneldor had magic. For example." Tyran disappeared and reappeared a few feet away. "Exhibit A: Teleportation."

Beside Ivy, Elise frowned. "There's no need for that tone. Gleneldor is a complex place. No one has even scratched the surface on it's secrets."

Tyran scowled as he leant against the cave wall. "There's no excuse for ignorance."

Having no polite words left, Ivy turned away to face five stick figures that appeared to be in a cave. She sighed. Life would be so much more easier if she were just a painting on a cave wall, undisturbed, unobserved. She could feel the frustration and hate growing between the group as they shot fiery retorts back and forth.

"Stop!" She yelled suddenly. Then as an afterthought she added on in a softer tone: "Please."

The group turned to look at her, their surprise almost tangible.

"We're supposed to be saving Viridiana, not arguing with it's inhabitants. Somehow, I don't think the power of mutual hate will not help us kill the Kayrix."

Silence.

Tyran looked her up and down. "I'll play nice as long as your friends do too." He said.

As he folded his arms and leant back against the wall, Ivy was struck by an idea.

"If you're a cave person, you should know the caves pretty well. You can be our guide." She said, looking at her friends to see if they agreed. "Before you answer, I have money and could give you power. Anything someone as determined as yourself could want."

Tyran seemed to choose his words carefully. "I really don't have a choice, do I?"

A/n As of right now, we are officially halfway through the story! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you next week :)

- Love from Poppy x