Chapter Nine

Ivy stood slightly apart from the Lockwoods. She didn't want to intrude on their goodbyes. But when Elise pulled her into their embrace she felt an inexplicable rush of gratitude and warmth. It was like the world of balls and betrothals had simply melted away and she could let herself relax in the kind arms of Elise and her family.

After a final farewell Ivy mounted her horse, pulled Elise up after her and suddenly they off. Off on a four day journey to change their fate. Somehow she started to imagine the faces of her parents finding out what what she was doing but stopped herself. She didn't want to be thinking about script-like conversations held at parties or silent dinners in silent halls. That was all behind her.

"Hey Ivy?" She heard Elise ask tentatively. Ivy settled for a simple 'mmm?' In response. "There are some people we should visit. I think they can help us."

Ivy hesitated. While something was telling her to rush in and end things, she knew that was a terrible plan. "Sure, who is it?"

Ivy could feel Elise's relief as it released and dissipated into the air. "Sayidah and Rowan Warchester. Friends of mine who live in these woods. They're really good with weapons and healing. They're also Elementals." She explained. As Ivy absorbed this, she felt hesitant over one word.

"What's an Elemental?"

Elise started telling stories of an ancient type of person who could control the elements at will. They could create hurricanes in a single breath, part seas with just a glance. "They've mostly died out now. They only Elementals I know are the Warchesters." She concluded.

All Ivy could do was murmur a quiet "Wow" under her breath. There was a whole world of people that she didn't know about. A world that she would someday rule. Despite the wonder of learning something new, she felt saddened and slumped down in her saddle a bit. Elise seemed to sense this and leaned into Ivy, wordlesly comforting her.

"We should probably stop now. It's getting dark and I don't want to get lost." Elise suggested after a moment's silence. Ivy was glad. When staying awake in the darkness, she had nothing to distract her from the torrent of dark thoughts about her parents and destructive beasts.

Ivy dismounted and helped Elise down with a little less stumbling and panicking. Ivy watched as Elise fumbled around in the dark before producing a glass jar. She balled one hand into a fist, closed her eyes and murmured something under her breath. Quickly she unfurled her hand and a small but bright pink flame appeared. Elise tipped the fire into the jar and secured it with a cork. She looked at Elise with a shy smile. "Fairy fire, easily summoned, safely stored away."

The pink glow illuminated a small patch of ground as the girls set up their camp. After securing Raven, Ivy truned to see Elise securing the end of a dark brown braid. She looked up and held up a comb. "I could do yours if you like?"

Elise worked the comb through Ivy's hair, gently detangling and smoothing it into matching sections.

"You know," Elise spoke up from behind. "You were my idol as child- you still are."

"M-me?" Ivy stuttered, trying to ignore the blush that had worked it's way onto her face.

Ivy could hear the smile in Elise's voice as she continued. "A beautiful Princess with a whole country that belonged to her. There was something about the power you could hold. It was so alluring to someone like me. I mean a fairy hated by her tribe? Ruling a country is just a strange fantasy."

"I really meant that much to you?" Ivy asked enjoying the feeling of Elise maneuvering her hair into two red braids.

Elise chuckled before continuing. "If someone told my childhood self that I would be braiding Princess Ivy of Viridiana's hair... Well I don't think I would believe them."

"Well," Ivy said, turning to face Elise. "I think your childhood self would be happy know that the Princess says thank you for braiding my hair, and goodnight."

For a fleeting moment, they both seemed to forget their situation and grinned.

"Goodnight."

A/n: Hi, sorry I completely forgot to update on Thursday, I've completely lost track of time. That being said, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and will stick around for the next chapter. Have a lovely day :)

- Love from Poppy x