Chapter Thirteen

It was raining. Soft beats pattering on the roof and rustling the leaves on the trees. The river was close to overflowing and there was water dripping into the attic room.

Ivy was helping Rowan to fix the latter of these problems.

Rowan's solution was to remove a portion of the roof and fit a hinged board in it's place. Her reasoning was that it would allow for roof access in the future. It wasn't an entirely bad idea.

The pair worked throughout the morning and finally, when the afternoon hit, they declared their work finished. Rowan beckoned Ivy up onto the roof and they sat in a comfortable silence as the last of the rain fell down to earth.

"You're nothing like I thought you'd be." Rowan said, looking down at the river.

"Thank you?" Ivy replied, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry. What I mean is that I assumed you'd be a stuck up prude who assumes they're better than everyone else."

Despite what could've been an insult, Ivy laughed.

"I think you'd find most people assume they're better than me. Viridiana isn't exactly the best country to be a princess of."

Rowan looked at her curiously. "It isn't?" She asked, her head cocked to the side like a robin.

"Well, there's places like Trontoa and Drowngen. They're ruled by kings and own a lot of land. They can't compete with Riol though. It's got the best army a country could ask for. Incredibly loyal people too." Ivy hesitated for a moment before adding a small remark. "I wouldn't know though, I've never left Viridiana."

Ivy looked away slightly. She'd heard stories of princes and queens leading their armies into battles - almost always emerging victorious - and yet she had never seen conflict.

There were stories told about Queen Julietta, a young girl who inherited the throne when she was only five. She had been trained in weaponry and had slain the corrupt ruler of Osena with an arrow to the throat.

There were stories of Gillad Storm, a man who discovered he had the right to rule and changed his future. He overthrew the imposters and lived a long life as King.

There were stories from all corners of the world but Ivy knew none of herself. The only thing Viridiana was known for was... the Kayrix?

Rowan spoke again, she seemed slightly saddened. "I've never left either. I haven't had a reason to."

"How so?" Ivy asked. "With your skills, you and your mother could go far."

Rowan smiled. "That's just it." She said. "Its only me and my mother. We don't need anyone else. I don't really have friends and I never knew my father. There's nothing for us anywhere else."

"That's not true. You have me and Elise. We're your friends." Ivy said and reached out to lay a comforting hand on Rowan's shoulder.

"You're not staying for long though, are you? You're going to the Kayrix." Rowan said, looking away from Ivy.

"How did you know?" Ivy breathed

Rowan gave a short laugh. "I have a lot more skills than making fire and healing people. I understand things. I can listen to the trees. I can sense the earth. Nature carries many messages and yet only a few can hear them."

Ivy murdered a quiet "wow" under her breath. "Elise told me Elementals were powerful. I didn't realise how much."

At the mention of the fairy, Rowan's smile changed. "I saw you two sparring yesterday." She said. "You have an... interesting dynamic."

Despite the cool air, Ivy felt hot. She tried to think of something to say but Rowan interrupted her.

"I'll leave you with that thought, I have some things to do." She as she skipped across the roof and disappeared through the trap door.

A/n: Its Thursday! Meaning I've actually remembered to update on time. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and the chapters that are yet to come. Have a lovely day :)

- Love From Poppy x