Chapter Four

Despite what Ao had told her, Elise had borrowed her father's bow and her mother's cloak before finding herself tucked away in a tree watching who she believed to be the princess of her country. However she couldn't be sure.

She drew an arrow and waited. As she considered the girl in front of her, she found herself thinking. 'What if it's her? What if after all these years I get to meet her? What do I do then?' Her thoughts were on the path of spiraling out of control. Concentrate. She told herself. You have to protect your home before you start to act on these feelings.

The girl suddenly woke up.

Elise drew back the drawstring but faltered. She couldn't shoot the princess could she? Instead she decided to fly to the ground. Hoping her short stature wouldn't betray her in the eyes of her idol. "Nice of you to pay us a visit, your majesty but you're on our territory and I'm afraid you're going to have to leave."

Despite looking scared, the girl stood tall and regarded Elise with an imperious stare. "I am your princess and I mean no harm. I simply sought shelter for the night before continuing on my journey."

Elise stood dumbstruck for a moment. She found herself at a loss for words until: "You really are the princess aren't you?"

Princess Ivy smiled briefly. "And if this is your territory, that means you're a fairy, right??"

Elise loosened the tension in her bow, returned the arrow to its quiver and held out a hand. "Elise Lockwood. I'm a Lacewing."

Ivy reached out to shake her hand. She opened her mouth to perhaps say something but she was cut off. The moment their hands touched, the world went black.

Elise could feel herself floating but could not tell how she was being supported. Five people moved beneath her. Three of them stuck out to her. The figure in front with bright red hair had to be Ivy. And the girl with flames dancing along the blade of her sword seemed so familiar. But there, standing slightly behind Ivy was someone who Elise recognised to be herself. Dark green eyes, striped orange, red and white wings and a bow held in a small hand.

The details vanished as quick as they formed. The scene burst into fragments and reformed into the face of a terrible looking beast. It howled and roared, its ten scowling eyes glowing in the darkness.

The visions came thick and fast, Elise could hardly focus on anything. There were snippets of conversations, flashes of colour. Her head was spinning and she felt weak.

Everything faded and Elise was left in the darkness. She felt relieved until she realised the could see the castle in front of her. All seemed calm. She waited to see what the vision would show her next.

A scream cut through the air and a crowd of people barrelled past. An inhuman screech resonated from behind the castle. A giant form rose, blocking out the sun. It lifted a giant paw and stomped down on the castle, surely crushing everything and everyone in there. A shoulder bumped into Elise's body, she gasped and staggered down. Her head hit the ground and everything seemed to fade away.

Elise gasped for air. She was laid flat on her back, the clear blue sky was blinding. She heard a murmur and saw Ivy was half laid across Eise's body. The world seemed to be spinning ever so slightly.

"What was that?" Ivy groaned, sitting up and clutching her head.

Elise had no explanation. But maybe someone did. "Let me take you to Ao, the leader of my tribe. Maybe she can help us."

A/n: Hi, thanks for reading this chapter! The plots starting to roll now so I hope you'll stick around for that. I hope you all have a lovely day. I'll see you all next week :)

- Love from Poppy x