Chapter Two

Elise Lockwood, who currently held the title of 'the youngest female archer in the Lacewing Tribe' raced through the woods. She had been given the simple task of gathering herbs for the tibe and had lost track of time. Now, as she crashed through the trees, she could only pray that Ao, the leader of the tribe, was in a forgiving mood.

If only she could fly over the trees.

King Ivar, the Viridianian king, did not allow the fairies to 'fly at an altitude that revealed them to an unwanting audience.' To Elise, that meant 'despite the fact that your tribe is one of our main protectors, I don't want to see you.'

Ivar's wife, Queen Marie, seemed to share the same views. Although she rarely spoke in public, one could infer many things with a simple glance. Ao had once described the look of disdain in the queen's eyes when she shook the fairy's hand.

The only member of the Viridianian royal family that seemed to disagree with their parents was Princess Ivy. It had been around this time, a couple of years ago when the princess had caused a scandal. She had refused to have her portrait painted by the royal family's painter and instead given the opportunity to an ordinary woman from the city.

She pushed her thoughts away as she skidded into the clearing where a throne was kept. Only if you were elected as chief of the tribe would you be able to sit on the ancient seat. The throne was carved out of petrified wood and decorated with a range of different flowers. A cluster of fossils and intricately decorated rocks bordered the base.

Upon the throne sat Ao. Her face was hidden by her mass of dark blonde hair and the scroll she was examining. Elise set the bag of vegetation on the ground and dropped into a curtsey. Ao would acknowledge her presence when she was ready.

"Ah, Elise. I was wondering when you'd arrive. I trust you have gathered enough resources for the month?"

Elise gulped before raising her head. Despite the fact that they were family, Elise had always been intimidated by her aunt. Dark green eyes met coppery orange ones. Ao regarded Elise for a moment, "Something is bothering you, child. Speak to me please."

"I was near the edge of the woods when I heard hoofbeats." Elise began. "It could be a scout or something more sinister. They sounded singular. My guess is that the rider came from somewhere near the castle."

Ao's eyebrows furrowed and in the slowly dimming light, the wrinkles etched onto her face seemed more pronounced. "Very well. I shall send some some men to keep an eye out. You are dismissed."

*

Cocooned in the silence of a relatively sleepy night, Elise's mind was racing. Her fingers were absently forming clumsy braid in her dark hair but she didn't seem to notice.

She may have told Ao the truth but she had left out a few major details. Details like how she had caught a glimpse of the rider making their way out of the castle grounds. A rider with long red hair that flowed behind them like a fiery flag.

Although it seemed crazy and was probably her imagination running wild, Elise was sure she had seen Princess Ivy escaping her home on the back of a glossy black horse.

A/n: Hi, I was going to upload last week but I completely forgot, I'm so sorry! Nevertheless, I hope you've enjoyed this chapter and the story so far, see you next week for chapter 3 :)

- Love from Poppy x