Chapter Ten

Elise woke to find that her body was nestled into Ivy's, her head resting on the girl's arm. Slowly she sat up, careful not to wake her friend.

The morning air was cold and crisp, not entirely unusual for a typical Viridianian autumn but something about it seemed to stick with her. It sunk into her bones and stole her breath. It felt as though ice was spreading through her veins.

The fallen leaves stirred behind Elise making the hairs on the back of her neck stand up with a prickle. Her heart quickened as she looked around at her surroundings.

Something was wrong.

Ivy's horse snorted, causing Elise to snap her head around. Her eyes landed on something silver and shiny.

The sword.

Slowly she walked towards weapon, shaking hands reaching for the leather bound hilt. The blade scraped against the sheath as it cut through the air. Shakily she spun in a circle, scouring the trees. Nothing.

Her blood was pounding in her ears. Her heart screamed in her chest. Something made Elise drop her arms. The sword tip hit the ground. She could breathe again.

Something grabbed her shoulder, spinning her around.

She shrieked and in her horror felt the sword leave her grasp. Ten glowing red eyes bore down on her. Elise could see her terrified face reflecting in all ten orbs.

As she tried to stumble away from the sight, something caught her feet and she hit the ground hard. The monster loomed over her, a low growl emanating from its fanged jaws.

Elise was looking into the face of death and she knew it.

The beast raised a giant brown paw. Five ridged black claws glinted in the morning light. One swipe from them could only result in death.

I am going to die. Thought Elise. I am going die by the hands of a murderous beast.

Frozen to the ground, she could only watch as the creature roared, saliva flying out from a dark pink mouth. The claws arched through the air. With her eyes squeezed shut, Elise accepted her fate.

She could hear her name being called. Faintly. Somewhere, somehow, someone needed her.

She opened her eyes just as the paw collided with her body. She gasped and for a moment indescribable pain flooded through her body and suddenly everything seemed to fade away.

*

"Elise!"

Elise groaned and struggled to open her eyes. A blob of red swam hazily in front of her. Ivy.

"Oh thank heavens! I was so worried!"

Elise had barely managed to focus before she was swept into a tight hug. Unused to such kindness from people outside her family, it took her a moment to relax into the embrace.

It was only when everything slotted into place and the trees stopped spinning that a sharp pain coursed across Elise's body and she fell back with a small cry of pain.

Clutching her side she managed to gasp out a question. "What's happening to me?"

Ivy bit her lip, worry written all over her face.

"I woke up and I saw you shaking. I tried to wake you but nothing could seem to stir you. You gasped and then you...you..." Ivy trailed off and gestured to Elise's torso. "The blood, it just came from nowhere. I tried my best to stop it but I fear the stains will stay."

Elise looked down. Five splotchy red lines cut across her tunic. Five lines that had landed exactly where that beast's had struck. Slowly, ever so slowly, the realisation dawned on her.

"Ivy!" She gasped, waves of panic rolling in. "I think I saw the Kayrix!"

A/N Happy Thursday! I apologise for leaving this on a slight cliffhanger but I hope you'll come back for Chapter Eleven next week. Until then, have a lovely day :)

- Love from Poppy x