We Made This War

"How do you intend to handle your parents?" Ra'venna inquires. As it stands now they are able to see Kleypolis's edge. In less than an hour they will be back at the palace.

"I intend to confront them." Helio growls.

He was the one to gather her unconscious form and bring her back to the ship. She was blue and cold as if she'd been dead for several hours. The thrumming pulse in her neck was the one reassurance he had she was alive. He remained by her side the whole time, keeping vigil as her color returned and warmth flooded her body once more.

His parents are responsible for that. He is tired of restraining himself as they plot to destroy everything he cares about.

"This is a war you can't win with strength." She cautions. "The day will come when you can bathe their thrones in their blood, but for now drink their wine, devour their feasts, and stew in your rage."

"How can you do that? My parents-"

"Destroyed by home, slaughtered my family, left me destitute and despised in a world that was a shadow of the one I know." She lists. He manages a nod after a noticeable wince. "When you spend days and nights dreaming of revenge you will endure any pain, any duration of time to achieve that vision."

Helio falls silent. What can be said in the face of such conviction? Revenge burns her from the inside out, it occupies her every thought, and dictates her actions. It is her poison and her salve. He could never hope to compare to that and the Prince would never wish to be shouldered with that burden.

"What is your vision?"

"Are you sure you wish to know?"

"Yes," he replies without hesitation.

"I envision a palace engulfed in flames, its gilded towers falling in on themselves, heaps of dead Dragons strung around me their heart blood painting my hands, and your family dead at my feet."

Helio shivers and not from her words alone. With every declaration the room's temperature drops until his breath becomes visible. Her words frighten Helio less than the fiendish delight in her eyes and the thinly veiled glee in her voice.

"Should I feel sympathy for you?" He questions.

"You should loathe me, but you have never done as you should." Ra'venna purrs with a tantalizing smile.

"I suppose not." He agrees, a playful grin adorning his face. "What would my all-powerful guard advise?" The smirk fades from her lips and they assume a scowl.

"Convey your outrage, but make sure its source is the last couple days and nothing more." She instructs.

Those words are easier spoken than followed.

——-

A sky view reveals the extent of their planned invasion. The fields are a sea of ships that extend well beyond their field of vision. Beneath them is a sprawling landscape and heaps of supplies. Ra'venna watches as a sail bearing a noble family's crest is lowered and replaced with the banner of the ruling family.

"This is madness." Helio murmurs over her shoulder.

"It is your family." He glares at the side of her head.

"That's not helpful."

"No, but it is honest." Helio rolls his eyes in annoyance, but pecks her cheek anyway.

——-

He should be a hero returning to parades and praise, but there are no heroes in the Land of Dragons-not that his parents would allow the honor to be bestowed on any but them. This feels like the return of one whose victory came at a terrible price.