My Domain

"Wraiths have been rising for the last two decades."

Amsyn is still reeling from this morning's revelation. The first words she uttered when she woke was 'we were attacked by Wraiths'. Amused, Yhena explained to her that Wraiths had begun returning about two decades ago and their numbers and power are growing every day. No matter how many they cut down more seem to rise.

Of course the Quvanians know, was the Griffin's response to her next question. They keep it a secret from their kin back home to save them from panic. If the world learns that Wraiths have returned there will be panic and that will only create more Wraiths.

How did she not hear of this before? Simple, Yhena explained, creatures don't want to believe these demons can return. Besides, who would believe it. There are always rumors of Wraiths. A hunter spots his own shadow and suddenly Wraiths lurk in the woods. A farmer late at night sees the dark form of a tree in the distance and panic ensues.

Amsyn tumbles forward. A hand wraps around her upper arm and yanks her backwards before she can hit the ground. She clings onto the arm. In the makeshift carrier composed of her shawl Sinnion cries out, his sprained wing protesting. She takes a deep breath, regaining herself.

"Are you alright?" Yhena asks. Amsyn manages a nod. She glances down and sees her foot caught beneath one of the numerous webs of vines that cover the jungle floor. "You have to watch where you walk there are vines everywhere." A Nymph brushes past them, tip toeing through the vines, refusing to step on them.

Around her the Cri Wilds whisper a story of life and war. Flowers bloom on trees marred with claw marks. Leaves of all colors, rustled from their homes float down where they petrify and are inevitably crushed by animals or creatures. The thick canopy filters the sunlight, bathing the floor in shafts of golden and green sunlight. She passes a charred tree and one that has been cleaved in half by a bolt of lightning. Evidence that the Fauns that once dwelled in these woods put up a formidable fight. She can hear birds crowing in the distance.

"Are there Wraiths here?" Amsyn asks.

"There have been. None have been spotted in the last few weeks. They usually appear in packs after a fight has taken place nearby or if there's been conflict in the mountains." Yhena answers. She holds a low hanging branch and ducks underneath, releasing it with a snap.

Amsyn shudders at the thought of there being more of those horrendous monsters around. Her fingers instantly find Sinnion. She strokes his head and neck, avoiding his wings for fear of harming him.

The crowded jungle opens up ahead of them in the form of a sloppy circle. Over the heads of the taller creatures she is able to make out the outline of a stone structure. "What is that?" Yhena smirks. She's heard and answered his question at least two dozen times.

"You'll see." She bumps her arm against Amsyn's. "Come on." She gathers Sinnion to her chest, the bunched up shawl gathers around her shoulders. She knows she must look bizarre to everyone around her. An Elf with a wooden leg and arm, jogging alongside a hardened Griffin warrior with a wounded Wyvern in her arms. She almost laughs at the thought herself.

Yhena's high status assures her a place alongside Siku, Aka, and Avdon. She trades greetings with the rebels. Amsyn treads alongside of her too fearful to utter even a greeting. Avdon glances in her direction and grins, shaking his head. He walks around the three women to the Elf's side.

"Will you not grace me with even a hello?" He teases. Startled, Amsyn whirls around nearly tripping over a fallen branch. Avdon reaches out to catch her, but she manages to regain her balance. Sinnion lets out a cry and wiggles, trying to free himself from his mistress's strangling hold. She loosens her arms. He lifts his head and hisses at her. "Are you alright?" Avdon asks. For a moment Amsyn thinks she hears panic in his voice.