Chapter 9

Scott put me into the jeep and got in, I was slowly nodding off to sleep,
He said" Lori." He got out, I whined then crawled across the seat and looked out the window.
Lori said" I found this. It's Brett's, and he's missing, and I heard gunshots."
" How do you know this is his blood?"
" Because he's my brother. It's mine, too." I shook my head, waking myself up.

We were in the woods, looking for Brett,
Liam said" Here. I think he set a trap."
Scott said" He's fighting back."
Malia said" And now we know he's alive."
Lori said" But he's still hurt. We need to find him, he needs to know we're here."
" You want the hunter to know we're here, too?"
Liam said" He's new. We can take him."
" What if Brett howls back? He'll lead the hunter right to him."
Scott said" No, we could find him first. There's no human that can track sounds faster than we can. And we've got the advantage, we've done this before. We know what we're doing, guys."
" How come I can't catch his scent?"
Lori said" He's masking it."
" Can someone tell him not to?"
Liam said" He went this way." Liam took off so did Lori,
" His trap didn't work."
Scott said" Maybe this hunter is not such an amateur."
" Or maybe he's learning." I was sniffing the air, I started wandering off,
" Maya." I stopped and turned back around, going to Scott." What is it? What do you feel?"
I said" Something's wrong, Scott. I need to find Mason."
" Go. Stay out of sight, move fast." I nodded, then took off, fast through the woods.
I felt pain, I stopped, letting my instinct take over,
I mumbled" Alpha! Scott!" I turned around, taking off, I sniffed the air and followed Scott's scent. He was underground, in the tunnels, why was he in the tunnels. I skidded to a stop at a rock tower, Brett, well... now I know why he's in the tunnels.
I got to the tunnels and climbed down, I listened,
Scott said" No, she's here, she can't be here."
Malia said" Who?"
" May. Pup, run, get out of here, run!" I was confused, I don't understand, he's hurt, I can smell his blood from here." Maya, run." I climbed back up the ladder and ran, if Scott sends me away, it's for a good reason, that means these hunters aren't newbies, they're capable of something else and we don't know. I stopped to take a breathe, I breathed heavily then whimpered before taking off again, I don't like this.
I got to the school and walked in, going to the library, following Mason's scent. I walked into the library and to their table,
Corey said" Did they find him?" I shook my head, then sat on Corey's lap.
Mason said" Yeah, I just wish I could be there. You know, to help her..."
" Be alone."
" Yeah, good point."
" Hey, Nolan." I sniffed the air, something was wrong,
" Studying for bio test?"
Nolan said" Trying. Yeah. Um, trying to understand how organisms evolve and change. Like, how a fish can turn into an alligator."
" Uh, alligators aren't fish, um, they're reptiles. They, they hatch from fertilized eggs..."
Corey said" And isn't the test on DNA versus RNA?"
Nolan said" Do you think DNA changes?" No, something's wrong, it's not right, something bad is gonna happen. I moved to Mason's lap, making sure I was covering his heart, in case anything did happen.
Mason said" If it's damaged, yeah. A change in DNA could cause cancer."
" So organisms can change, organisms change." He chuckled, nervously, this isn't right," They can change right in front of your eyes."
Corey said" I don't think this is on the test." Nolan's scared, I grabbed Corey's sleeve, gripping it in my fist,
" Yeah, I wonder if organisms can change, and then change back. Like, they can be two things at once." Corey caught on, he looked at Mason and me,
Mason said" Uh, parrotfish are protogynous hermaphrodites, both male and female. Um, hawkfish change and change back. As well as earthworms, of course, but..."
Corey said" That's definitely not on the test, or any high school test."
Nolan said" I wonder if any of us have changed. And if we did, would there be any way to tell?" I wanted to roar at him, to growl and protect my pack, my heart rate was going out of control, I wanted to shift.
Mason asked" Like a DNA test?"
" I was thinking a different type of test..." then he stabbed Corey with the pen, I closed my eyes, Mason and Corey stood up.
" What the hell is wrong with you?"
" Look! Look at him!" He moved Corey's hand and saw it healed, oh no, no, no!
" He's fine. It's just a scratch." Nolan walked away, I looked at Mason and Corey. Mason whispered" Maya, get out of here. Now." He put me down, I walked out, then once I got to the hallway, I walked faster, trying to find Lydia.
I heard Nolan say" You're one of them, aren't you?"
Lydia said" One of who?" I ran around the corner and saw Nolan running away from Lydia. I ran to Lydia and hugged her, I was shaking," May, what happened? What's going on?" I'm scared," Hey, calm down, breathe, May, pup, what happened?"
I whimpered" Bad, Lydia. Very bad." She wiped my face, cleaning off the tears," It's bad, Lydia. Nolan he stabbed Corey with a pen, Corey healed, and I think everyone saw it, what's gonna happen?"
" Oh, my god. Nothing's gonna happen, everything's gonna be okay, Maya. I just need you to go home, right now, and stay there."
" No, I don't wanna be alone, what if the hunters get me?" He held my face, Then sighed,
" Okay, I'm gonna protect you, okay? You're not leaving me. But I do need you to find Scott and tell him what happened, okay? Or Liam? Anyone in this pack, okay?"
" Okay, Lydia."
" Good girl, go, okay? Go." I nodded then ran off, as fast as I could without drawing attention.
I heard Liam's roar, my eyes glowed then I took off faster, Liam!
I saw Brett and Lori, then they got hit by a truck, I ran to them and skidded to a stop next to Lori. I saw Liam, I held Brett's shoulder,
Lori said" Close your eyes. I couldn't take away his pain." I backed away from them, crying, I looked at Liam, he roared. No! I ran to him, holding onto him, crying more. He roared again, his hand was on my head, my eyes glowed and I looked around, everyone was afraid.