A Night of Many Surprises

Gerald and Emily attend a charity ball run by Gerald's father to inform him of their engagement. 

And, as the title reveals, the night follows with many surprises

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Attention all passengers, last stop is Paddington Station. I repeat last stop Paddington Station."

Joan looked up from her magazine as the Muggles surrounding her began to get ready to board off the locomotive. 

"Now arriving at... Paddington Station." 

The witch shoved her magazine into her bag and stood up with the rest of them. This was her stop. 

As the train doors swooshed open, she quickly made her way to the small cafe shop where she was to be meeting.

Briskly, Joan pushed the cafe doors open, inhaling the sweet smell of coffee and tea bags, while hastily looking around the coffee shop. 

As soon as her eyes caught sight of a beaming woman with bright red auburn hair and sparking brown eyes, Joan began to scream her head off, evidently startling the patrons in the cafe. 

She rushed towards the witch and squeezed her arms tightly around her best friend. "Holy Rabies Emily! I can't believe you're getting married! This is SO EXCITING I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!" The dark skinned, brown haired witch cried out in joy. 

Emily laughed and hugged her friend tightly "Thank you for coming Joan, I know you were having a rough week but I just really wanted to tell you in person!" she said, her smile large and sincere. 

The two women took their seats at the table and Joan immediately got to interrogating "Okay, tell me everything. Did he get down on one knee? Was it romantic? Did he tell you I knew about the whole thing? Cause I did."

"Yes. Yes. And no, really? You knew about it?"

"Duh. I saw him buy the ring in Diagon Alley. He was blushing and being all sweet it was adorable." Joan said as the waiter walked up to the two "I'll have a black coffee please, and a muffin."

Emily smiled at the thought of her boyfri- fiance, she was still having trouble wrapping her head around the reality that the two of them in a short months time were going to be married for merlin's sake. 

She couldn't think of anyone but him she would rather spend the rest of her life with. 

"So," she prompted as Joan took a sip of her coffee "Another reason I wanted to talk to you is to ask if you would have the honour of being one of my bridesmaids."

 Joan's eyes grew wide and watery "M-me?" she asked. 

Emily laughed "Of course silly. You're my best friend and I'd love it if you would be up there with me and Gerald." 

Joan broke out into a smile "Oh Em... thank you I would love that." the two women embraced before going back to their wedding talk. 

"Oh by the way, how's your mum doing?"

Emily smiled "Better. Much better. In fact she's coming home from St Mungo's this afternoon. I'm heading over there later to help her unpack."

"Aw that's great. I don't know what would happen if we would've lost her."

"Amen to that." Emily said clinking mugs with the witch beside her as they chattered on for the rest of the morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------