Happy Birthday Tina

Since it's Tina's Birthday today I decided to spontaneously write a fic in honor of her 117th year :)

This one takes place about a year after Newt comes to New York to give Tina his book

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tina Goldstein hated surprises. 

She did. 

She really loathed them. 

They made her job twice as complicated and it really was a lot more stress than fun in the end. 

That's why when Newt Scamander had the audacity to show up at her office the day of her birthday she didn't quite react well. 

She was deep in the middle of solving a case when he had snuck up behind her, tapped her lightly on the shoulder and her fist had met with his face.

Not on purpose of course, but you really should know better than to sneak up on people.

"Mercy Lewis I am so sorry Newt-"

"No no, it's my fault, I shouldn't have snuck on you like that." He said wincing and pressing his hand on his bleeding swollen nose. 

Tina sucked in her breath and bit her lip examining the damage she had inflicted on this poor man "Damn, it think it's broken. Oh I am so so so sorry Newt, here-" she pulled out her wand and silently cast a spell. 

With a small crack Newt's nose had stopped bleeding and the swelling began to decrease in size. 

"Thank you. So, I guess you don't like surprises..." he said awkwardly shuffling his feet. 

"Really? What gave it away?" Tina replied smiling shyly and turning to tidy up the clutter that was her desk. "Sorry about the mess, um I don't usually have visitors."

"Tina. I've come to give you something," he said abruptly, reaching into his peacock blue coat pocket and pulling out a gift box wrapped neatly with a blue bow on top. "H-happy Birthday."

The elder Goldstein's eyes widened "How... how...how did you know...?"

"Queenie," Newt responded instantly with a sheepish smile as she accepted the gift "She owled me a letter inviting me once again to New York for your birthday, I hope this is alright with you she wanted this to be a surprise."

Ah...

Now everything was starting to make sense.

The secretive letters, the insistence she go to work today, the touch of lipstick Queenie had insisted on placing on her sister before shoving her out the door. 

Unwrapping the box, Tina gasped as she pulled out a strange magical instrument from the packaging. 

"It's called a Sneakoscope," Newt informed her "It's a very popular British auror tool, it lights up, spins and whistles whenever someone is doing something untrustworthy nearby."

Tina's eyes gleamed "I love it Newt, thank you." she confessed happily setting it down on her desk. 

Whether it was the fact that it was her birthday or that Newt Scamander had traveled all the way from London to give her a birthday present, Tina was feeling very bold that moment. 

"Hey, I'm off work for the rest of the day. Would you, like, would yo like to get lunch, or, or something?" she asked. 

Newt nodded "I would love y- to. I would. Yes. Love to." he fumbled smiling at her.