For The Times We Could've Been

The afternoon soon turns into early evening. I walk beside Sesshomaru through the long grassy plain, the sky is dyed light orange and yellow with tints of fiery red. Not much words were said, but just being able to walk beside him feels so relaxing and beautiful. The birds flew above us and the spring breeze crosses the field. I brush my hand along the taller grass and it tickles my hand, Sesshomaru looks around and occasionally at me. We didn't do much, but it's a beautiful moment. The sky finally turns into nighttime after a few more hours, the bright stars shines beautifully. The crescent moon hangs majestically within them, the warm night feels wonderful.

"Are you tired?" Sesshomaru suddenly asks me.

He stopped so suddenly and I didn't notice I was still walking when he asked me. I turn to face him with a smile.

"Are you tired?" I ask him back.

"I'm a demon, I don't get tired that easily." He replies closing his eyes.

I admire his graceful and still figure standing in the dark green grass, his white hair gently swaying in the wind. Absolutely majestic. I don't respond to him, but I feel like we should sit down and spend some time talking. I brought blankets so might as well use them. I jog back up to him, he opens his eyes hearing me running towards him. I stop in front of him, and I look up at his eyes.

"What are you doing?" He asks me curiously.

I look down at his left hand and I take his in mine, his cool skin against mine feels like a perfect combination.

"How about let's sit down for a bit, I brought some blankets. I also brought my koto with me, I was planning on playing more of it today, but since I spent such a great time with you I forgot all about my koto. Come on, let's go over there and sit down." I say to him with a smile.

He looks at me and nod. I smile and I pull him gently by the hand. To hold his hand in mine feels so unreal, I keep telling myself this moment is real, but it's so hard to believe. We walk till we arrive at the edge of a small slope on the grassy plain, I let him go and I untie my koto on my back. I lay out the larger blanket onto the soft grass. I then take him and guide him to sit down with me, he doesn't say anything, no questions or expression of annoyance or disgust. I smile knowing that he has changed so much than how he was before, I don't know what would have happened if I met him before he met Rin. He sits gracefully and bends his left leg up to rest his left arm onto his knee, I sit right beside him. I then place my koto onto my lap, and I look at him.

"Would you like to hear a song?" I ask him quietly.

He looks at me with a flat expression, but then he let's out a slight smile.

"Do whatever you like." He says gently.

I remember those words so long ago, back then they were cold and emotionless. But now, they were soft and kind. If only I knew that what he meant back then was "I'd like that." Now I understand him. I smile and nod.

I turn back to my koto, and I place my fingers onto the perfectly pulled strings. I close my eyes and I once again let my fingers run freely along the strings, notes echos beautifully around us in the quiet night sky. As I play the songs I reminisce all the times we spent together, they were nice but today is the most precious and beautiful one. After I finish, I put aside my koto and I turn to look at Sesshomaru. His eyes are closed his head hung slightly downwards, he looks so peaceful. I don't know if he fell asleep while sitting up or just resting, but I can't stop admiring him. Without knowing my left arm lifts up, and it goes towards his face. My hands are mere centimeters from his, when his left arm suddenly grabs mine gently. It shocked me.

"You've seen my face so many times already, is it still not enough?" He asks me slowly and opens his eyes.

The magenta stripe on his lids slowly becoming thinner as his eyelids folds slightly up. He turns to look at me, his flawless face facing mine. The moon on his forehead giving him such majestic features. I smile.