Autumn Ends, and The Winter Air Glides Pass Me...

I wake up to the chirping of the birds that tells me, morning has arrived. I sit up and stretch my arms into the air. I rode my horse to a nearby stream and wash up. I re-braided my hair and I sit on the edge of the stream. The weather feels colder than the past few days. I realized that winter is slowly approaching and autumn is coming to an end. I take my feet out of the water, dried them off and hopped back on my horse.

"Let's go Hidzume, we're almost at the next village." I say patting my horse on his strong neck.

I gave him a nudge and we set off. A few hours went by and I finally arrive to a hill not far away from the next village. I can see it, it's a decent size village, not big but not small either. It seem to be a place that holds shrines, a spiritual place. I've heard of villages like these but never have I seen one in person. I got off my horse and begin to walk down the hill. Suddenly I hear a young child's voice laughing and coming towards my area really fast. I turn around and I see a girl in a green kimono running down the hill looking behind her, then another girl in a yellow kimono comes out from behind a bush, chasing after her. They look alike, almost like siblings. They look about 9 years old. They have big cute eyes and sleek shoulder length black hair.

"Woah slow down." I said holding out my hand.

The girl who's running away towards me turns her head, her eyes went wide when she sees me and without enough time to stop, she runs into me. With her momentum, it actually knocks me backwards. My hand got caught onto my koto that is strapped on the side of the saddle and I brought it down with me. We fall back onto the grass, the other girl gasps and runs up to us.

"Oh my, miss are you alright?" The girl asks.

I prop myself up, and the girl who crashed into me quickly got off me. With a girl her age, she actually kind of knocked the wind out of me from that fall.

"Ya I'm fine, are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?" I asked breathing in deeply, feeling a little bit better.

"Yes we are, sorry about that. We're glad that you're not seriously injured." Says the other girl.

"We have never seen you before, are you traveling?" The girl who crashes into me asks.

"Yes, I'm on my own, traveling around Japan and seeing the world with my horse Hidzume and my koto." I said with a smile.

"Koto? What's a koto?" The other girl asks curiously.

"A koto? Oh it's this thing." I said reaching for the koto on the ground.

I unwrap it and place it on my lap showing them it. The girls looks at it with curiousity.

"Is it an instrument? There are strings on it." The girl who crashed into me asked.

"It is, it's an instrument that is made of polished wood, there are 13 strings on it and they produce rich tunes when strummed. I love music and the koto is my favorite instrument. Would you like to hear a song?" I ask them with a gentle smile.

They both nodded with a smile, they sat down beside me and watched my fingers as they begin to strum the strings. I played a slow tune, then a happy and lively one that I thought fits their lively personality. We talked for an hour or so, until it was in the late afternoon.

"Would you like to come to our village? We have to go back home now, we promised our mother that we'd be home by evening. You can stay the night, we want to hear you play the koto again tomorrow." The girl in the green kimono says with a big smile.

"How about I'll take you girls home and we can see from there?" I said.

"Sure thing! Come on!" They said tugging me up by the hand. I wrapped up my koto and guided Hidzume with the two girls back to their village. When we arrived at the entrance to the village, a young lady is waiting at the entrance. Her appearance looks similar to the two girls, so I assume that she is their mother. The mother's eyes went wide as she saw me with their girls.