Back To Square One

I travel for the whole day, it was tiring but I had to keep on going so I can go home. Back home to my family. When the day finally ended, I take Hidzume and I guide him to a stream that I happen to remember when I was traveling. I set up camp against a tree along the bank of the stream, the moonlight giving the whole area a gentle wash of silver. Hidzume drank from the stream, and I eat a little of the food that Kagome packed for me. I fed Hidzume as well and then I let him rest beside me. I don't have my koto anymore so I don't know what else to do except look up at the starry night, it's so serene, but lonely. I lay the blankets underneath me and then drape the other one over my shoulders. I lean against the tree and look at the flowing water, I smile. Since I have nothing to do, I decided to warm up my fingers and position them over my legs. I pretend that I have my koto on my lap and I close my eyes and move my fingers over the imaginative strings, I imagine the notes in my mind as my fingers glides over the air. I smile as I imagine the song that I played, it's the song that I composed and played it for Sesshomaru, many months ago. I open my eyes as I remember that night, memories comes back to me like a wave. I look at my hands and I see the scar on my left hand. I then remember when I guided his hand with my own over the koto, the memories are blinding. I realized that the scars on my body reminds me of Sesshomaru. They are nostalgic and melancholic, but it's the past and I need to move on. I take out the jade bottle that I kept close to my chest, I trace my fingers over the engravings, the warmth on the surface is soothing. I then unplug the cork on the bottle and the smell of sweet fragrant olives comes flowing out the bottle, it surrounds me and calms my mind. Hidzume then suddenly snorts surprising me, I then smile.

"Sorry Hidzume, looks like the smell is pretty strong isn't it?" I ask him.

He breathes in and exhales loudly and then quiets down again. I turn around to look at the bottle again, I plug it up but the smell still surrounds me. I begin to wonder why Sesshomaru gave me perfume, if I had to wonder about types of gifts that he would give to someone, they would be kimonos, hairpins, and accessories. Never guessed perfumes would be one. Regardless, I smile and place it beside me. I scoot down onto my blanket and I close my eyes, I slowly drift off into a slumber surrounded by the sweet smell of fragrant olives. I wake up to the morning sun shining over me and through my eyelids, I wake up and stretch out my back. I sit there for a bit trying to come to my senses, I look around the area. The place is beautiful, the clear water reflecting the sunlight and it sparkles. The green trees and bushes surrounds the area. I eat a little bit of the bread and fruits and I sit by the bank and place my feet into the cool water. I wash my face with the cool water to further help me wake up and become energized. I brush my finger through my long hair, I then pick up the perfume and dab my finger with a bit of the liquid aroma and swipe it down the nape of my neck. The smell caresses me lightly, and my mood lightens drastically.

"Let's go Hidzume, we got another day and a half." I say giving Hidzume a pat on his mane.

I tuck the bottle back in my kimono and hop onto Hidzume, I gave the place one last glance and then rode off. I was on the road for as much as I could, occasionally to rest a little bit for Hidzume's sake. Riding for hours on a horse can be really tiring, not to mention painful at times as well. The day went from blue sky, to pale blue, to fiery orange, and then finally transitions into dusky blue. Before we know it, the day ends once again. I lead Hidzume towards some trees amongst the grassy plain. We finish the rest of the food before it became spoiled. Hidzume rests beside me, I lay out the blankets down and I lay down on it. I stare up at the stars dazzling in the distant night sky, the crescent moon hangs in the center of it all. As I look at it, the crescent moon reminds me of the moon on Sesshomaru's forehead. I groan and I put my hands over my eyes, now I only see the darkness.

"Everything I see reminds me of Sesshomaru... I need to stop. I can't stop thinking about him like this... what will happen after I return home? If I think about him like this every night.... I think I'll eventually go crazy. Get a hold of yourself__________, don't let yourself be this weak." I say to myself quietly.