Indecisions

On a Thursday morning, a ferocious thunderstorm rolled over Los Angeles. Bright, white lightning flashed across the dark skies before a crashing bolt of thunder shook the city's grounds. The force of the strike quaked the Evans residence, abruptly awaking all its inhabitants.

Tension jolted through Denise's whole body as she woke, her blurry vision scanned her surroundings as she tried to process what had just happened. "It's alright," Chris whispered, wrapping his arm tight around her waist. Her spasmodic awakening shocked him a lot more than the crashing thunder outside their window. "It's just a thunderstorm, it'll pass." He pulled her back into his front, pressing a tender kiss on the back of her neck. "Go back to-" Before he could finish his sentence, Jack's cries came through on the baby monitor.

"Great," Chris groaned, pulling away from Denise to roll out of bed. He ran a hand through his hair as he got to his feet. Denise propped herself up on her elbows and glanced over at the clock that read 4:12AM. She sighed and watched as Chris walked out of their bedroom to retrieve their wailing child.

Dodger padded into the bedroom first, with Chris and Jack on his heel. Denise sat up, back against the headboard as she held out her arms for Jack. The poor boy was bawling his eyes out despite his dad's desperate attempts to soothe him. Dodger jumped onto the bed and rested his head on Denise's leg, watching as she took the two year old into her arms.

"It's alright, sweetheart," she cooed, running her hand up and down his back as he continued to sob. The thunderstorm outside offered no aid in his comfort; another bolt of thunder struck. "Hey, you're okay." She looked over at Chris when Jack tightened his grip around her neck, burying his face in her hair. "The thunderstorm is just loud, it's not going to hurt you."

Jack loosened his grip and turned to the curtained window as Denise sat him down between herself and Chris. The curtain lit up as lightning flashed outside. Another bolt of thunder came crashing down and Jack quickly buried himself under the covers. "Thunderstorms are nothing to be afraid of, bud," Chris gently pried the covers from his tiny hands. "Like Mama said, the thunderstorm is just loud. It is not going to get you when you're here with us, we won't let anything happen to you."

"You promise?" Jack looked between his parents.

"We promise," they answered with a smile and a nod.

Chris rolled out of bed, walking towards the window to take a peek through the curtains. "I guess we're not going for our bike ride after all." He glanced over his shoulder, chuckling, when he heard Jack's little groan. Denise stifled her own chuckle as she kissed the top of their pouting son's head. "I know, buddy. I'm disappointed too, but we can't control the weather." Chris plopped himself back down on the bed. "We can go another day, when the sun's out."

"It'll be nice to have a quiet day inside," Denise ran her hand through Jack's hair. "We can all watch Disney movies and eat popcorn, then you and Dodger can play with your toys. Or you and I can bake cookies, or you and daddy can draw pictures to put on the refrigerator. I think that all sounds like fun." She leaned forward for the toddler's opinion. "What do you think, hm?"

"Can we make chocolate chip cookies?"

"Of course we can, we'll make as many as you want."

"Then I wanna make a million!" Jack bounced excitedly.

"A million?" Chris chuckled. "Well, that's a little ambitious."

"It is very ambitious," Denise corrected. "Why don't we make two dozen instead?" She suggested and Jack pondered her offer, squinting. "Two is better than one, y'know. Think about it. A million, or two dozen? Which sounds like more?" She winked at Chris when he snickered at her attempt to trick their child. "Personally, I think it's two dozen. What about you, Daddy?"