Where Is She?

It was 2:20AM and Chris found himself nervously standing outside Denise's door with his clammy fist hovering over the birch door again. This time, however, he was a lot more nervous than he was the day he came to confess his love for her. This time he knew the girls living behind said door wouldn't be as warm and welcoming as they were a month ago.

Chris assumed at 2:22AM Denise, Luca, and Dodger were probably all asleep. His assumption was wrong as Luca and Dodger were up, fighting their tired eyes and worrying about where Denise was. As for Denise, she was out and attempting to digest everything that'd happened earlier in the day. Chris was also wrong about her not wanting to see him because as he stood at her door, she was standing at his. But she wasn't in Atlanta, she was in Los Angeles too afraid to get on a plane because what if he turned her away? She'd fucked up, like- really fucked up. She couldn't face him because she didn't know what to say. She hadn't had the time to analyze her current situation then write a story about it to see how things were going to play out. She was out of her comfort zone, and way, way out of her league.

When did things become as complicated as they were? When they were friends, they never fought. She talked and he listened, and vice versa. They didn't lie to each other, she was honest about things even if he had to push her a little. Why did becoming a couple change that? How did it change that? Things always flowed so smoothly for her second person protagonist and Chris, and they were so much like them so why weren't things working out?

All those questions made Denise realize it was because of her. She, unlike her second person protagonist, was flawed beyond imagination. She started this because she couldn't depend on Chris like he'd asked her to, like she knew she should've. That was the point of being in a relationship, wasn't it? To have someone be there for her and love her despite everything. He was her other half, he'd told her that. He'd even promised her a lifetime and meant it, so what was she doing sabotaging the relationship?

It was obvious sabotage. Maybe not at first, but it was starting to become clear to Denise that it was. She found Chris daunting, feared she wasn't good enough for him. It was the only reasonable explanation as to why she didn't want to tell him about her adversities or take money from him. It was important for her to make her own way because she was terrified if she didn't, she'd become a burden- an anchor weighing a transcendent and magnificent boat down.

Chris was right when he wrote her that letter, he was right when he said she would search for greatness and strive for perfection she didn't believe she deserved. She understood she needed to stop questioning everything good in her life and appreciate it instead because it was the only way she'd actually get to keep that good in her life for longer than a few months. She needed to improve, to better herself- not just for herself, but for those who loved her- for Chris, especially if she wanted the lifetime he promised her.

Chris finally worked up the courage to knock on Denise's door. He heard Dodger bark and felt his heart skip a beat. It was a relief to know Dodger was still living in her apartment and not with the contact he gave her as a backup plan. It didn't take very long for the door to open which surprised him. When he saw Luca, his eyes quickly narrowed at the concern in hers, "what's wrong?" Dodger barreled towards Chris, head butting his leg and demanding for attention Chris wouldn't give him until he knew "what's wrong, Luca?"

"Nothing," Luca shook her head then continued before Chris could say anything, "just Denise went out at like seven and it's fucking two in the morning and she's still not back." Chris' heart dropped and he quickly pulled Sebastian's phone out of his pocket so he could call her. "Don't bother," Luca told him. "I've tried her a dozen times, she turned it off."

"Did she tell you where she went?"

"If she did, would I be this worried?" Luca bit. "All she said was 'I'm going out. Don't worry, I'll be back. Just...in a few days.' And she mumbled the last bit thinking I wouldn't hear her, but I did and I'm losing my mind. I called her parents, I called her brother- she's not with them."

"What?" Chris frowned. "Why didn't you try and stop her from leaving?" Luca scoffed at him and he sighed, "I'm sorry. I know this is- This is my fault, I had a bad day and I wanted to talk to her. I didn't expect things to escalate so quickly, I just- it was all a huge misunderstanding. We both said things we didn't mean and- I'm sorry, Luca." She shook his apology off because she knew it wasn't entirely his fault; it was Denise's too. "I promised you I wouldn't hurt her and I did and-" He cut himself off with a huff. "I'm going to make it up to her, I promise. But in order to do that, I need to find her first. Could you tell where she was going from what she was wearing, or what she took with her?"

Luca didn't want to answer Chris' question because Denise looked like she was going on a date or to a bar to pick up a guy to take her mind of the breakup. Even if she and Chris both knew that wasn't the kind of girl Denise was, he was already frazzled enough. The truth would've only added to his mess of thoughts so she decided to lie instead, "I'm sorry, but no. I guess I was too focused on everything else to notice."

"No, you don't have to apologize." Chris licked his dry lips as he mentally listed places his girlfriend liked going. It didn't help as majority of them would've been closed at this time of night. He was utterly clueless. "Fuck, why does she like doing this kind of thing? Does she not realize this is the real world with actual dangers?"

"Look, Chris-" Luca began then sighed. "I know we're worried about her, and seeing me up and pacing the living room doesn't help your angst but- I don't think we should go and look for her." Chris' eyes narrowed. "Hear me out," she reasoned. "Denise is not the kind of person who'd go wandering if she didn't think she'd be fine. LA is her home, she knows the place. I think we give her some time and when she's ready, she'll come home and I'll text you."

"I can't stay forever," he reminded her. "I love her and I'd do anything for her, but- I have to be realistic, my career is on the line." Luca nodded understandingly. "I want to work things out, but I also need to go back to work. Sebastian can only help me stall for so long, I can't spend days in LA waiting for her to come back from wherever she has decided to go."

"I know," Luca nodded. "Just give her a day, if she doesn't return by tomorrow afternoon then- you can head back to Atlanta and I'll have her call you to sort things out." Chris sighed, but agreed with a nod. "Go home and get some sleep, I promise you things will be okay." Chris was about to turn and leave when Luca asked, "do you want to take Dodger with you?"

"He should stay here," Chris descended to his knees in front of Dodger. The dog licked Chris' face affectionately, coaxing a genuine smile. "He's my backup plan if I have to leave before I speak to her in person, she might be more forgiving if he's involved." He scratched Dodger behind his ears and sighed before allowing his lips to quirk into one of his half smiles, "she's a bigger fan of him than she is of me sometimes." Luca managed a light laugh at his weak attempt at a joke. "Please text me as soon as she gets home, whatever the time may be."

Luca nodded and Chris left.

The ride to Hollywood Hills felt dreadfully long and he wished he had his phone instead of Sebastian's so he could browse all the photos he'd taken of Denise, as well as the photos they'd taken together. He missed her so much he felt hate towards her for running out instead of staying home. He'd planned to grab her and kiss her to show her how sorry he was, but that plan had been foiled because as he'd learned not everything went according to plan.

As the cab strolled up his driveway, he spotted a female figure in the dim light standing by his front door. The cab pulled to a stop and he practically stopped breathing. Cash was fumbled from his wallet to pay his fee. He tumbled out of the vehicle, tripping over his over feet when he realized it was Denise. She was in a trench coat, the familiar red dress peeking underneath the beige material; black stilettos lengthened and complimented her long legs. She looked beautiful, her natural beauty heightened by her primped hair and made face. Chris cursed himself for letting things escalate to this point. He could've lost her for good, things could've been over between them. The dull ache in his shoulders dissolved when he realized it wasn't over. She was still here, pacing his drive way. He needed her. He needed her in his arms and in his life, now, tomorrow, and until the end of time.

"Denise," he called out to her and she turned.