Jump

Sitting on the plane as it ascended, Denise felt calmer than she'd ever been. She listened to the low hum of the engine and looked out the window, enjoying the magnificent view as they slowly approached the altitude needed for the jump. She thought she'd be nervous, but she wasn't. Her hands didn't shake when she signed the paper work, she didn't sweat when they got her to change into the blue jumpsuit, and she was actually smiling the entire time her instructor was strapping her into her harness. She was so ready; so calm and collected that the instructor couldn't believe it was her first time.

Chris wasn't wrong when he said Denise had been dying to skydive for a while now. In fact, it'd been on her mind since he jumped for his Esquire interview. That all happened shortly after they met, way before they became a couple. They'd had pizza at his place after his jump and she spent the time quizzing him about what his experience was like and if he'd ever do it again. He could still remember the way her eyes lit up when he talked about how liberating it was, and since then- skydiving had been on her bucket list waiting to be checked off.

"Okay, we're at the drop-point." Denise felt her eager heart leap when she heard her instructor, Doug's voice in her ear. "Are you ready?" He asked her and she nodded. "Cross your arms, lean your head back, and bend your knees. Later when I tap your shoulder, remember to hold out your arms." He instructed and she nodded again, taking slow, deep breaths. "Alright, let's get this over your head." He helped her slip the plastic googles over her head and adjusted the straps to her safety and comfort. "And let's go show Captain America how it's done, shall we?"

"Let's do it."

Chris watched with pride as Denise and Doug shuffled towards the edge of the plane. With their legs dangling over the edge, she looked over at him and smiled when he squeezed her hand. "I'll see you down there," he said and she nodded as he drew her hand to his lips. "I hope you know that I love you, more than I'll ever love another."

"Precautionary last words, Captain?"

"If anyone can survive jumping out of a plane," he smiled, "it's you."

"I was actually talking about you," she teased and he laughed. "I love you."

"I love you too. Now go," he chuckled. "Have the absolute time of your life."

Looking over the edge into the blueness of the sky, Denise felt an indescribable sense of tranquility. She finally understood what Chris meant when he'd told her it was an experience capable of de-cluttering her brain. Her mind was actually quiet for the first time in a long, long time. And though she was still a little scared, she was mostly excited.

Denise felt Doug tap her shoulder, informing her they were about to take the plunge. She crossed her arms over her chest, leaned her head back, and bent her knees. Before she had time to think about what she was doing, they were out of the plane and in the sky. The sensation of the free-fall resembled a rollercoaster ride; she could feel her stomach in her chest and her heart in her throat. The thin air had her struggling to breathe, causing an overwhelming fear which was quickly dissolved by the pure ecstasy of the experience. Though it was called a 'free-fall', Denise didn't feel like she was falling but flying instead. The clouds they past through kissed their faces, the wind whistled in their ears. The experience was surreal, beyond her wildest dreams.

Doug tapped her shoulder and she opened her arms, smiling when he grasped her hand, giving her a reassuring squeeze. The free-fall lasted for what felt like an infinite amount of time. It was as close to nirvana as a human could possibly get to without years of practicing meditation. There wasn't a care in the world that bothered Denise. For that infinite amount of time, she didn't have anything or anyone to worry about; she was free.

The chute opened, abruptly jerking the bodies it was carrying. The unsettling jerk was a grand contrast to the smooth descent, Denise almost felt like a feather being carried in the wind. It was so quiet in the air, everything felt so peaceful. The world was at her feet, all matters turned small. She'd just jumped out of a plane. She felt empowered. Suddenly it was as though she could face anything, take on the world and all its obstacles. She was no longer afraid or nervous about what the reviews were going to say, whether they were going to slam her or praise her for her first film. It didn't matter because she was proud of what she'd produce, her family and friends were proud of her for what she'd achieved. Whatever the reviewers had to say, she had faith that she was going to be fine.

Then she looked up and she knew she was going to be fine. Seeing Chris reminded her that jumping out of a plane wasn't the only way she could feel the empowerment she did. Her smile reached her eyes knowing that was the man she had in her corner. The experience of jumping out of a plane didn't make her braver, nor did it make her stronger. She was already braver and stronger with him in her life. With his hand in hers, she didn't need anything else; he was her armor, her weapon, and her guiding star. Even if everything fell apart, as long as she had him- she'd make it out of hell.

When they were both safely on the ground, Chris swept Denise into his arms. "You did it, baby!" He hugged her tightly, peppering kisses into her hair. "I am so fucking proud of you." He told her, cupping her face in his hands. "God." He released her face to take her hands in his. "You are a force to be reckoned with, y'know that? Fucking fearless, just-" She cut him off, pressing her lips to his. He smiled, kissing her back as his hands snaked around her back.

"Thank you," she whispered when she broke the kiss.

"Best birthday ever?"

"Best husband ever."