Chapter 28

~Brendon~

"Dammit!" Dallon shouted in anger again, kicking a table leg. "Fuck!" he said after hurting his foot when he kicked the table. He tried his phone again. Nothing. Nothing from either of them.

Ten minutes later, Dallon's phone rang. He picked it up hastily and answered.

"Hello?" he asked. "Uh-huh. Yeah, I've got them here. Okay. Hold on, I'm putting you on speaker." He put the phone of speaker and turned it up.

"I've got her, Brendon." It was Zack's voice coming from the phone. He sounded out of breath. "I've got Rilynn. She's okay. We're heading back now. We'll be there in maybe five, ten minutes."

"Can I talk to her?" I asked, my voice shaky from crying.

"Daddy?" Relief flooded my chest. I breathed out shakily and hugged Sarah tightly.

"Hey, baby," I said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay," she said. "Zack is bringing me back. You sound like you've been crying."

"I'm glad you're okay, honey," I said. "And don't worry about me. I'm okay."

"Is Mom there?" she asked.

"I'm here, sweetie," Sarah said. I could tell she was trying not to start crying again. 

"Just get back safe, honey," I said before Rilynn could hear Sarah start crying again. "We'll see you when you get back, okay?"

"Okay," she said. Then Zack hung up and we all breathed a sigh of relief. She was okay. Zack would have said something if she were hurt. Rilynn would have said something or sounded different if she were hurt. She sounded okay. She only sounded like she was scared. Zack would have told us if there were something to worry about. Right?

When they got back, Rilynn ran into my arms, wrapping her thin arms around my neck. "I love you, Dad," she whispered.

"I love you too, baby," I whispered, trying not to cry.

"What happened?" Dallon asked Zack, letting Sarah and I worry about Rilynn.

"We were pushing through the crowd of reporters and one of them grabbed her arm," he sighed. "They tried to run off with her for who knows what reason, so I chased them. They had to be fit to outrun me for so long while carrying her. When I caught up, I'd had them cornered. They dropped her and took off running. I didn't bother leaving her behind to follow them, so I brought her back. When I saw I had like ten missed calls from you, I called you as we were walking back."

"It scared me," Rilynn whispered. I hugged her tighter.

"It's okay," I whispered back. "You're safe now, baby. You're safe."

When we walked back out to the bus, I kept Rilynn and Sarah close. I put Rilynn in the middle of us, and Dallon walked on the other side. Zack walked closely behind us. We weren't taking any chances. I gripped Rilynn's hand tightly the whole way. Once we got on the bus and the door was shut, I let go of her hand. I sat on the couch and Rilynn sat on my lap, watching a movie on the TV. I pulled her close. I felt as though she'd disappear again if I let go.

The bus stopped at the hotel so that we could get some remaining things from our rooms before we checked out. I kept ahold of Rilynn's hand the whole time. When the bus headed for the next stop, Rilynn eventually fell asleep on my lap. I carefully carried her to the back of the bus and set her up in one of the bunks. I pulled the covers up to her chin and kissed her forehead.

"I love you, Princess," I whispered before leaving the bunk area. 

I sat up with Dallon most of the night. Neither of us could sleep. It was like that a lot now. We both struggled with sleep. Ever since the crash and everything that happened. Dallon said he hears Rilynn's screams and sees her laying under the hunk of metal every time he closes his eyes. Whenever I tried to sleep, I saw Rilynn laying in the hospital bed, unconcious, after Sarah and I fought. We hadn't told anyone, not even Zack. Spencer only knew because he sometimes joined us. But it was just the three of us. We knew that it'd been hard on all of us. We supported each other on the worst of the nights. 

Eventually we both went to the bunks and laid down. I fell asleep after several minutes of staring at the bottom of Rilynn's bunk. I'd put her above me so that I knew she was okay. If I could hear her moving and breathing in her sleep, I knew she was okay. 

I was jolted awake in the early hours of morning by Dallon screaming. I hit my head on Rilynn's bunk in my scramble to get out. "Fuck," I muttered under my breath. When I reached Dallon, he was staring wide-eyed at the wall, drenched in sweat and pale. I glanced over to see Rilynn watching. She looked terrified. Sarah crawled from her bunk above Zack's and walked over to us, sleep still evident in her face.

"Sarah, can you take Rilynn out there?" I asked, nodding towards where the kitchen area, TV, and couches were. "I'll take care of Dallon." She gave me a sympathetic look and helped Rilynn out of her bunk. They walked out of the bunk area and closed the curtain behind them. 

"She's okay?" Dallon asked, looking at me with fear in his eyes.

"It was just a nightmare, Dal," I said. "Rilynn is fine, I'm fine, Spencer's fine. We're all fine. Just breathe. Deep breaths, Dal, deep breaths. Everything is okay."

"God, why does this keep happening?" he muttered, rubbing his face with his hands.

"Dallon, I think you have PTSD," I said. "And it's getting worse by the day. You need to talk to a doctor, Dallon. It's hard enough with both of us worrying about Spencer's drinking. We don't need to add you to the list."

"I know," he sighed. "God, do I know. I'm sorry. She shouldn't have had to see that."

"It's okay, Dallon," I said. "You can't control it. I understand. We'll get you to a doctor that can give you a prescription for medication or something. I know we need to worry about Spencer, but you need to worry about yourself first."

Eventually I got him calmed down and back to sleep. I walked out to where Sarah was cradling Rilynn in her arms. She was fast asleep, snoring lightly as she gripped Sarah's baggy t-shirt. I smiled softly and sat next to them.

"How's Dallon?" Sarah whispered, not wanting to wake Rilynn.

"I got him to calm down," I sighed. "He finally fell back asleep. I'm certain he has severe PTSD from the crash, but he won't admit it. I told him he needed to see a doctor about it, but he's more worried about Spencer. Spencer started drinking. It's not good. We've been trying to keep our eye on him and try to regulate his drinking."

"Oh, Brendon," Sarah said. "Do you want me to take Rilynn back to LA with me so you can focus on the others? I don't want you to have to worry about her while trying to take care of the others."

"No, don't do that," I sighed. "She's not happy staying home and going to school while I'm away. I want her to be happy."

"B, you know she has to go to school," she sighed. "She can't just skip school all the time because she doesn't want to go."

"I know," I sighed. "Maybe she'll be better when I can be home for her. Just let her stay out of school this time. We can fix the issue later."

"Fine," she said. "But I don't want to leave her if you're going to be busy trying to deal with Dallon and Spencer."

"Honestly, Sarah, I think having her here will help them," I said. "It'll be easier to convince Dallon she's okay if he can see her. I'm sure Spencer would try and control how much he's drinking if Rilynn is around. It'll be good for her, and us. I promise she'll be safe, Sarah. She is my number one priority. She always will be."

"As long as you're sure she won't be in the way," Sarah said. I nodded and we stopped as Rilynn shifted in her sleep. She gripped Sarah's shirt tighter and stopped moving. "I think I'm just going to sleep out here with her tonight. I don't want to wake her by trying to put her back in her bunk." I nodded and kissed her before going back to the bunks. I wanted to keep a close eye on Dallon and Spencer, and I knew Sarah would watch Rilynn.