Chapter 13

~Sarah~

Later that night, the doctors let me take Brendon down to see everyone else. But he had to stay in the wheelchair because he didn't have feeling in his legs. I took him to see Dallon first. I knew they'd want to see each other. One of the nurses helped me get him into the wheelchair and smiled before she left. I rolled him out of the hospital room and headed towards Dallon's room.

"Where are you taking me?" he asked, smiling.

"You'll see," I whispered as I bent down towards his ear. I continued to push him until we reached the room. I knocked on the door before opening it and pulling Brendon in behind me. "Look who got to leave his room today!" I smiled at Dallon and Breezy.

"Hey, man! How're you feeling?" Dallon smiled at Brendon. I wheeled him around so he could talk to Dallon.

"Oh, you know, great," Brendon said. "Besides the fact that I can't feel anything below the waist." He and Dallon laughed, Breezy and I smiling. We let them talk until they couldn't think of anything to talk about.

"Bren, we have the others to see still," I laughed.

"Go on, go on," Dallon laughed. "I'll still be here. Not going anywhere anytime soon." I took Brendon down to see Zack next.

"Brendon, I'm so sorry," Zack said as soon as he saw Brendon.

"What are you apologizing for?" Brendon asked. I wheeled him closer to Zack.

"Rilynn," he whispered. "I couldn't save her."

"Zack, it's not your fault, I've told you this," I replied softly. "You couldn't have done anything to change it. Even if you had saved her, someone would end up just as hurt as she is. You can't change anything that's bound to happen. If you keep it from happening to one person, it'll just happen to someone else."

"But it wouldn't have happened to Rilynn. It was my job to protect her, and I couldn't. I failed her."

"But that doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened to Brendon, or Dallon, or Spencer," I countered. "Just because you could have stopped it from happening to Rilynn doesn't mean you could have stopped it from happening to anyone else." I was beginning to cry at this point. I wiped my face. "I need some air, I'll be back to get you in a little bit, Bren." I walked out of the room and down to the lobby before going outside.

I sat on a bench and just sobbed into my hands. I couldn't do it anymore. They were both hurt. Brendon was paralyzed. Only for a few days, but he was still paralyzed. Rilynn might be paralyzed for the rest of her life. It was her first tour and she got hurt on the first day. My family was in pain and there was nothing I could do. I'd tried to be strong all day, but I couldn't do it anymore. Tour was so hard on me. I was stuck at home with the dogs constantly worrying about whether or not Brendon was okay. I only got to talk to him once or twice a day when he was gone. Anything that happened between or after the calls I was left wondering about. My worst fear was that Brendon would be on tour and miss my calls. That meant he could have been doing anything. And anything could have happened to him.

I sat there for several minutes before getting up. I went to the bathroom to wipe my face and splash cold water to help me calm down. I dried my face with a paper towel and made my way slowly back to Brendon. When I got back, I wiped my eyes once more before opening the door. Brendon sat next to Zack in his wheelchair. They both looked up at me when I entered.

~Brendon~

Sarah walked out. She left. She left crying. She left crying and I couldn't comfort her. There was nothing I could have said to help her. And when she came back, she wasn't crying anymore. Her eyes were puffy and red, her face flushed. But she wasn't crying. It hurt more to see her not crying now than it had when she had cried.