8. Loving Music

Lavinia got off the stage after performing her solo performance. She walked to the bar and saw a cans of soda coming her way. She glanced at Jacob "For me."

Jacob said "Yes. Thank you for the music and thank you for being so nice to my sister. She said how you have been watching over her. I won't forget it you know. If there is anything you want me to do for you, I am always up for it."

Lavinia smiled sweetly and pushed the drink towards him "Thanks you are so sweet. But ... do me a favour... Never buy me drinks. I have a jealous admirer. He won't like it..."

Jacob put his hand up in surrender "Woah. I am not meaning it in that kind of way. It's just a thank you. I am also the direct kind. My words are sincere. I am sorry if you think I am flirting or anything."

Lavinia put her hand up "I didn't say you are flirting. I say he will think that you are..."

Jacob said "In that case he must learn to listen to logical explanations. I won't change just because some guy gets jealous. He must listen to reason. It's just a thank you. I am in your debt for being so kind to my sister..." He then pushed the drink towards her "I won't change my ways because someone is jealous. I got this soda for you. You are no one's property to tell you what to do..."

Lavinia looked around her. "You are not getting this." She looked back at him "You seem like a nice kid. I just don't want him to come after you. I am looking out for you. Don't say I didn't warn you."

Jacob said "Don't worry about someone like me."

She looked at him up and down wordlessly. There was something about him that made him different. He was fearless and strong. Leo said to her how he managed to take on some tough guys. She hoped he didn't get hurt.

Jacob pushed the soda towards her "I insist. It's only a drink. A thank you drink for being nice to my baby sister."

She took the soda. "Fine. Thank you. Your sister is lovely. Are you always nice to people who befriend your sister? Someone so kind like her I bet must have a lot of friends."

Jacob sighed deeply "She hasn't been so well... Her health has not been great. She has been mostly home schooled so she has lost her confidence mostly. She attended school but had to keep taking time off because of her health... She is fine now. She can get back to mainstream school. But I worry because she has no confidence and low self esteem she can find it hard. It's nice you look out for her because she is new. She told me you gave her your phone number if she needed anything."

Lavinia said "It's no problem. She is new but also sweet. Its my pleasure."

Leo suddenly appeared there "Lavinia. I need your help."

Lavinia turned to him "What can I do for you?"

Leo said "Leandro is sending everyone out to the front for open air party time. It's karaoke. I need you to pair me up with Elena."

Lavinia said "What? What do you mean? Jeanelle is performing next."

Leo said "No. He wants everyone vacating this section and you are leading it."

Lavinia then heard the announcement on the speakers. She rolled her eyes "I am not getting it. When I told Leandro I want to run an open air karaoke he said no repeatedly. Now suddenly he says yes..."She then mocked his tone "My club is not a karaoke bar." She then reverted back to her own voice "Well... I never said his club is a karaoke bar. That's why I suggested we do it in the gardens. The open air space sits useless and can generate some money if he invests in it..."

Leo was becoming impatient as people were making their way to the exit "So are you going to call it off then? Come on Lavinia. I need you here."

Lavinia said "Oh no. I am going to lead this... before he changes his mind." She then raced past the crowd.