Chapter Two*

-Chapter Two-

I ran into the hospital, pulling Niall behind me.  

"Hi, sweetie, who are you looking for?" The old woman asked me as I walked up to the nurses' station.  

"Chris Aherne. I need to know if he's okay. "  

"Okay, take a seat over there and the doctor will come speak to you."  

"Okay. Thank you. " 

Niall and I went and sat in the waiting area. Niall sat down and patted his lap, causing me to shake my head no.

"Yes." He pulled me onto his lap. I immediately started crying.  

"Niall, what if he doesn't make it? What am I going to do! I'm only 17 and I have nowhere to go! I finished high school earlier this year so I could take care of Chris but I have nowhere to go! What am I going to do, Niall?" I whimpered into his chest.  

"You're always welcome to stay with me, Abs. Anytime. I'm here for you, babe." He said, rubbing my back. I was relieved, only to remember a second later he was leaving to go to London with his band a few months later.

"Yeah, that would work for now, but what about when you go to be with your band? Then I'm all alone." 

"Well, the boys are coming down this weekend to hang out for a week and I want you to meet them. I could probably convince them to let you stay with us." 

"Niall, I'd get in the way. I would constantly be in the way."  

"Abs, you won't, trust me. I'll talk to them. Okay, love?"  

"Okay." I agreed. Just then a doctor with a sad look on his face came in. He walked over to me before speaking.

"Are you Abigail Aherne?" He asked, a sad tone in his voice. I couldn't bring myself to speak so I nodded as I stood to face the doctor, Niall's arms wrapping around my waist a second later to comfort me.  

"I'm sorry. The tumor pressed on the center of his brain that controls vital functions, and he went too long without oxygen to the brain. We couldn't save him. I'm sorry for your loss." He frowned and walked away. I turned around and hugged Niall. I had to get on my toes a bit because he was 4 inches taller than me. I cried into his shoulder while he rested his head on mine and I could hear him crying softly.  

"Can we go, Niall? I can't be here. I can't." 

"Yeah. Let's go. Piggyback?" He asked and I nodded. He would always give me a piggyback ride when I was sad or upset. I jumped on his back as we walked out of the hospital. I would never go back there. I lost my parents there, and then my brother. I vowed to myself that I would never again set foot in that awful place.