Chapter One*

-Chapter One-

*October 20th, 2012*

Chris became my legal guardian. We had lived happily for 5 years. Niall and I stayed close, maybe got even closer, if that was possible, but once he left for X-Factor we didn't talk as much. He was too busy building a career, so I couldn't find the courage to tell him what had happened a month after he left and even though it was a year later; things were so bad. Niall was coming home for a while and I couldn't wait to see him after a year. I had to figure out how I was going to tell him. He was quickly going to find out on his own if I didn't tell him as soon as possible. Once he got back to Mullingar, I was going telling him.

-The Next Day-

"Abs!" Niall yelled to me as I opened my front door.

"Niall!" I screamed as I pulled him into a hug.

"I can't believe you're back! Not to be a downer, Niall, but we need to talk. Can we go outside?"

"Sure, Abs. What's wrong?" He looked confused and worried.

"Niall, it's about Chris. We found about a month after you left but I couldn't tell you. I couldn't get you upset and now it's worse and I don't know what to do an-"

"Abbie, what's wrong? I'm getting scared."

"Niall, Chris... has.. a.." I managed to get out before I started sobbing. He pulled me into a hug before saying,

"Abbie, you can tell me. Shhh. It's gonna be okay love."

"Niall, Chris has a brain tumor. We found out a month after you left, and he's been getting worse and we don't know how much longer he has." I choked out before crying my eyes out into his chest. He looked shocked, sad, and as if he were about to cry.

"Why didn't they just remove the tumor?" He asked, trying to hold back tears.

"They can't. The tumor is in a spot where if they operated he would end up brain dead. They can't do anything about it. He's been getting weaker and weaker for the past year. I knew you had to be with your band so I didn't tell you. I'm so sorry I haven't told you, Niall. I feel so horrible. God I'm the worst best friend ever." I looked at the ground. But when I looked up at him he was looking at his lap. And I noticed the tears falling down his face.

"Abbie, You aren't the worst best friend ever. Come here. " He pulled me back into his chest.

"Can I see him? Like is he well enough to talk?" He continued cautiously.

"Yeah. He's in his old room. There's no point in him staying at a hospital. They can't do anything. Let's go." I grabbed his hand and led him to Chris' room.

"Hey, Chris!" Niall said to Chris as we reached his room. Niall's face went pale as he saw Chris. I couldn't blame him. Chris was so frail and weak. It pained me everyday to see my big brother like that. I couldn't stand the thought of losing him.

"Hey, Nialler! How are you, buddy?"

"Good! My band and I got third on X-Factor. I'm here for a couple months to catch up at home. Then I have to move to London to do things with the band. " Niall told Chris. Now it was my turn to go pale. I ran to my room and sat on my bed. I couldn't believe what was happening. First my parents. Then, Chris was slowly leaving me. I couldn't lose Niall. He was the only person I had left. I started bawling my eyes out, yet again. Just then I felt two strong arms wrap around me.

"Shh, Abbie, what's whats wrong, love?"

"I lost my parents. Now I'm losing Chris. I can't lose my best friend too." I got out before I started sobbing again. Niall laid me down in my bed and laid next to me singing while I fell asleep. When I woke up it was dark and Niall was still next to me with his arm around me.

'He stayed with me.' I thought with a smile before drifting back to sleep.

I was jolted awake by Niall yelling.

"Abbie, come here quick! It's Chris!" Then I heard mumbling as I saw him on his phone as I sprinted down the stairs frantically.

"Abbie, Chris collapsed. I found him in the kitchen and he wasn't breathing. I called the paramedics but I don't what's going to happen." Niall told me as I backed into a wall and slumped down to the floor.

"No. I can't lose him. I can't." I muttered to myself as tears streamed down my face. I felt Niall wrap his arms around me as paramedics carried my unconscious brother out of the house.

"Niall, can we follow them? Please?"

"Of course, love." He kissed my forehead. He threw me one of his hoodies to put on over my tanktop and shorts and grabbed his keys as I followed him out the door to the hospital.