19

still tyler's point of view

the cafe is closed today, but the first interviewee should be here any minute. im sitting at one of the booths, shuffling through some paperwork. resumes and interview questions.

i hear the bell above the door ring and i look up. jenna is standing there, a smile on her face.

"may i come in?" she remains standing hesitantly in the doorway.

"im actually closed today. i have a lot of people to interview," i offer a small smile, "sorry."

she steps in anyway, and comes to stand next to me. she holds her hand out for me to shake. "i know. hello, mr. joseph. my name is jenna black and im here to interview for the opened position in your cafe."

a genuine smile spreads across my face and i shake her hand. "nice to meet you miss black. please, have a seat."

it would be awfully nice to have someone im already familiar with working here. i do remember her saying she might come to the open interview session but i didn't know if it was for sure. however, i cant let my personal bias get in the way of finding a capable employee. she might be the worst suited person for this job ever. so, we must go through the formalities of the interview.

i clear my throat. "miss black," i flip through the resumes until i find hers. i look over it a little and nod. "i see you're in nursing school?"

"yes, sir."

"how much longer do you have until you graduate?" i close the folder of paperwork and make eye contact, even though its something ive never been comfortable with.

"just a year or so. i haven't decided if im going to take summer courses or not yet," she replies, her smile never leaving her face.

"how will school effect your availability?" i tilt my head a little in question.

"i will be available every day except tuesdays and thursdays. as for specific hours, ill be available for open to close most nights. if i could get off a little early on fridays, id appreciate it, but its not necessarily a must," she explains her hours to me and i nod along.

"fair enough. what do you think qualifies you for this position?"

"ive worked in food before. i worked in a starbucks for one summer, so i have experience in coffee as well."

we go on with the interview, and its obvious to both of us by the end that she's going to be hired.

"do you have any questions for me?" i ask my last question with a smile.

"when can i start?"

-

a few other people come in for interviews. there are a few good candidates, but i only really need two employees. jenna has successfully taken the first slot, and the boy who came in second to last is who i believe im picking for the other.

his name is alex, and he's studying to be a vet. he's also an aspiring photographer. he was very polite, and i deemed him a good fit.

i make the phone calls to both of my new employees around six in the evening, and i email them their paperwork.

after im finished, i pull out my phone and call josh.

"hello, darlin," i can hear his smile in his voice and it makes me smile as well.

"hi," i feel myself blush even though he can't see me.

"how were the interviews?"

"well, i was hoping i could tell you over dinner? id kill for some taco bell right about now," i sigh, fairly exhausted from all the social interaction i did today.

"ill be right there, love," he hangs up the phone and i shove mine back in my pocket and lock up the store.

i wait outside for him, and after a few minutes, i hear his motorcycle's engine coming up the drive.

he pulls up next to me, a leather jacket in the place of his normal hoodie. "ready?"

(an: im such a flop sometimes like even when my writing isnt *bad* its not *good*)