"Hey sorry, I was still getting ready," I lose my breath after my last word. Sam has not arrived yet. Josh stands in front of me with his hands in his pockets and a sorrowful look on his face. "Hi." I manage with the small breath still in my lungs.

"Um, is this a bad time?" He asks looking to his surroundings. His hair is in a tousled mess, but it's fitting, as if he wanted it that way. His black t-shirt is wrinkled and defines how masculine and lean his body is.

"No, I was just waiting for Sam. Did you forget something?" I ask folding my arms and shifting my weight to my right leg.

"Actually, I wanted to say thank you for letting me stay here after what happened last night." He nods to me with his lips pressed tightly together.

"Oh.. You're welcome." I speak with my arms still folded.

"And I'm sorry for what I said last night. I already had a few drinks and-"

"You seemed pretty sober to me in the bathroom." I glower, not believing his reasoning.

"I was angry and obviously you were too. I really am sorry, Jen." He finally removes his hands from his jean pockets with a shrug.

"Do you remember what happened last night?" I ask with obvious curiosity in my voice.

"Sort of. I remember standing in your room, but I can't remember any of the things we said. Last thing I remember was walking across the hall to the bedroom. That's it. Sorry." He frowns. He doesn't remember any of it. Not even when he impulsively kissed me and I didn't stop him from doing so.

"But you remember what you said during that game, right?" I say sheepishly. If anybody should be timid, it should be Josh, not me.

"Yeah.." He trails. He clears his throat and begins again. "I regret every word. I tried calling you a few minutes after, but you never answered. I guess a phone call really wouldn't have made a difference, huh?" I shake my head and he clenches his jaw after my reaction.

"I appreciate the apology, but what you said was really uncalled for. It kind of hurt." I finish and his mouth parts open.

"I'm sorry. I really don't know what else to say. I wasn't thinking of you when I said it, I was only thinking about how upset I was over.. everything, I guess." He answers intently. I have to give him points for at least owning up to his mistakes. "I just don't think I could stand it if we stopped talking to each other." He admits. I'd hug him, but I don't want to step over any boundaries.

"Thank you for apologizing. I forgive you." I finally let up. But that doesn't mean my wall is down just yet. "I think we should try and be friends. No more of this back and forth." I crinkle my nose. "It's just exhausting, really."

"Yeah, I totally agree with you." He nods with a small smile. I feel my heart beat harder against my chest. His smile is so genuine. Josh and I don't speak, both of us unsure of how to continue or end the conversation. Instead, we stand awkwardly, waiting for one another to speak first.

"So-"

"Um-" We both cut each other off. He smiles and I giggle to myself. A weight has just been lifted off my shoulders.

"I'll see you around, Jen." He says lastly before turning away to the porch steps.

"Bye." Is all I conjure up. I watch as he continues down the path and down the driveway. He takes a glance back to me and I catch one last glimpse of his smile before Sam appears in my vision.

"What was he doing here?" Sam asks as he walks up the steps of my porch.

"He was apologizing for last night." I answer. I was so mesmerized, I didn't even see Sam coming.