Chapter Five | First World

Start from the beginning

XeLeader's chief advisor began to do what he was best at, public speaking. He walked around and gradually regarded those bystanders who soaked up his every word. The youth in question didn't change his expression as the allegation was read out.

"-and then the victim in question sought out XeWife, where she confessed her assault."

Upon mention of said woman many, including ShuNing, looked over to the spider who was now seated elegantly; expecting the sudden attention. She sat straight, her head up-right even though she wore various jewels that many peoples' necks would have struggled with.

Her blood red lips were flat, as her dark eyes, which many believed were the only redeeming feature of her face, were stabbing the youth over a thousand times. She believed herself untouchable.

Chief advisor whirled around when he had finished, expecting the boy to show some form of reaction. Instead, he was met with a blank, attractive face. No one, even himself, could tell what ShuNing was thinking.

"I wonder, if I grind a restoration pill up and crumble it into the porridge, will it's quality improve?"

ShuNing was lost in his own thoughts, but when he noticed that the parading advisor had stopped both moving and speaking, he returned his attention to the room. Instead of fretting over what the man opposite had previously said, the advisor continued. This time addressing ShuNing directly.

"Now that the allegation has been read out, you have the opportunity to respond."

"Ah, " ShuNing bowed his head ", thanking respectable elder. With permission, I do have a few words."

Clasping his pale hands in front of him, ShuNing remained silent for a few seconds as trepidation grew in those surrounding him. And then, he looked directly to XeLeader.

"Before that evening I had never seen nor heard of ChuntaoMei before. I cannot comprehend why she would be in my home in the first place; so far from her mistress. But clearly I must have done something to anger her- to desire me punished for actions I did not commit."

Sow the seeds of doubt.

People began to mutter, trading opinions back and forth. Even the beloved concubines spared a glance at one another, before pointing their gazes towards the hateful red-lipped woman. Those wise enough, amidst the flock of pretty women, began to put two and two together. All very much aware of said 'little birdies' that XeWife has under her clutches.

There was no one in that group who hadn't been on the receiving end of the elder woman's scheming motives.

"I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind hearing them?" Chief advisor then spoke, standing to the side and acting as mediator between both him and XeLeader. ShuNing only had to acknowledge him with a nod before the experienced old man proceeded.

"In the past, not even that long ago before this alleged incident, many have claimed to have warmed your bed."

ShuNing was silent. When he realised that the man had finished speaking, he raised a brow. "Forgive me for being so bold, respectable elder, but that is not a question." He had an intake of breath, closing his eyes momentarily before slowly nodding his head. "But even so, I do not deny it. After the justifiable putting-to-death of my black-hearted mother, I was lost. From before I could even remember, she controlled my every move. Desperate to have me make an impression on XeLeader." Again he paused, this time bringing his hands up to unconsciously clasp his arms, hugging himself.

"I mourned her death, but not out of pity for her, because anyone who wishes harm upon XeLeader is deserving of death, but for myself. She kept me away from everyone, monitoring my every action, so I had no idea how to communicate with anyone." His voice became progressively smaller, quivering with emotion.