"Does she have her own personal shoe closet," Bonnie asked.

"Well, she has a shoe wall in my parents walk in closet," I said. "We sound like rich snobs, don't we?"

"Well, not snobs," Bonnie said. "But don't feel embarrassed about being rich. Do you know how many shoes we would buy if we could afford it?"

"I'd have a shoe basement," Jo said wistfully. "Someday, I will have a shoe basement."

"I bet your place is killer," Bonnie said. "How many rooms do you have?"

"Two bedrooms," I said quietly.

"That's like a palace for college student in New York." Bonnie laughed.

"My dad picked it out because it is supposedly a safe neighborhood," I said. "But it's sort of far away from the rest of the city."

"That's why it's safe, dear," Aria said. "Hey, is your brother single?"

"No," I said. Technically, he was, but Emali would not appreciate Aria's craziness.

"Check out the suit guy," Bonnie said. "Is he walking over here?"

I glanced to see man who looked about my fifty, with a very nice suit and slightly greying hair. His cufflinks practically screamed that he was worth a lot, just in case you couldn't tell from his watch. His eyes locked with mine, and I felt uncomfortable. Why was some old man staring at me on my first day of school?

"Is that some guy you know?" Jo asked. I shook my head, but the man still continued our way.

"Should we go," I asked, feeling jumpy.

"Don't worry," Bonnie asked. "A man with that kind of money is not a creep, probably."

I thought about leaving still, but he was here.

"Miss Mcnarie," the man said, extending his hand. "I am Thomas Darcy, and I'd like a moment of your time."

I shook his hand, feeling a bit odd. The girls stood up and seemed to scatter. So much for my new, loyal friends.

"How can I help you," I asked politely.

"Well, I own a company called Finesse INC. You've heard of us, correct?"

"Well," I said. "I think so. Isn't it a banking company or something?"

"We are an investment group," Thomas Darcy said. "We also specialize in public relations for our clients. We often focus our investments on the entertainment industry, movies, music, and most of all here at our New York offices, Fashion."

"Oh," I said. "If you want to speak to my mother, you need to go through the regular offices. I am not in charge of anything at Mcnarie INC."

"No, you're not," he said. "But isn't that a shame? I saw your online portfolio, and I think you've got some real talent."

"I don't have an online portfolio," I said. "I have a blog where I post some sketches, but that is just social media."

"Then why did you get the pictures copyrighted?"

"Mr. Darcy," I said. "Just because I am young, that doesn't mean I want my work to be redistributed without my consent."

"You may be young, but you certainly do have a business mind."

"What do you want, sir," I asked.

"Here is my pitch," Mr. Darcy said. "I will personally give your company up to $200,000 of startup capital

Whenever you'd like, and all we ask for is a thirty percent share in your company."

"I am not going to have a startup company," I said. "I will work for Mcnarie INC after I graduate. That's the plan."

"Well, you are guaranteed a CEO position, then?"

"No," I said. "I don't need that though. I just want to design things."

"Let me tell you a story about my son, David," Thomas Darcy said. "I built my company for him. He just got his MBA last year, quite a feat for a twenty-one year old man. He is mart, skilled, and I wanted him to take over my position so I could retire young. I'm rich, and my yacht is awaiting me."

I laughed, because I could definitely see Mr. Darcy on a yacht. He seemed like a boat man.

"I brought my suggestions to the board, and they denied the request. They think David is too young for the CEO position. So he is working his way up to earn the empire that was built for him. It's ridiculous."

"So," I said. "What is your point here? I don't want to be CEO, and even if I did, my aunt and mother hold the majority of Mcnarie INC's shares."

"You think I don't hold most of my own shares," Darcy asked with raised eyebrows. "If I overrode my board, our stocks would have dropped by twenty percent. Do you know what that means in realistic terms?"

"No," I said.

"Giving my son the position would have meant about two hundred people would have lost their jobs," Thomas Darcy said.

"You're saying that if the shareholders don't want me," I said. "Then I might have to choose between my own careers and the good of my company and its employees."

"See, you do have a business acumen," he replied. "So, I have a counter proposal. Why don't you quit school? It is a waste of time when you're already talented. You can tell your mother you need to chart your own path. Once I invest, others will follow. You'll be doing fashion week this year, selling pieces. And I think your market will be the internet. I plan to buy advertisements on all of those gossip sites that love you so much."

"Whoa," I said. "Slow down, Mr. Darcy. I am not dropping out of school. Thank you for saying I am talented, but I need this. I'm not ready to run a company, mine or my mothers."

"I suppose that is understandable," he said. "But here is my card, just in case you decide to take me up on my offer."

I took and it and smiled, unsure how else to ask.

"It was odd and lovely meeting you," I said, shaking his hand again.

"You as well, Miss Mcnarie," Thomas Darcy said.

"Tell your son I wish him luck," I smiled curtly.

Thomas Darcy just smiled, and I watched him walk away. I looked down at the card, immediately feeling guilty. I wanted to be at my mother's company. But for the first time, a small seed was planted. Did I want to chart my own path? How could I even think that, when doing so would break my mother's heart?

(((Sorry, this is kind of a filler chapter. But it's super important, I promise!

Pleeeease comment! I miss y'all. Do you like the new cover? I hope so because it is my forever cover now!

Also, this is a random dedication on this chapter.(I'm pretty positive she's not a reader of mine, lol.) The person this is dedicated to run a competition (graphic competition) based on austenland when I was writing this, hence why I named my newest characters Darcy. I had pride and prejudice on my mind! So I thought I'd dedicate this to her to let her know it inspired me. )))

Rock Star's Daughter { A Blake Mcnarie Novel }जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें