23. Remembrance

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER MAY CONTAIN TRIGGERS FOR ROBBERY, COLLAPSING BUILDINGS, ETC.

I'll let you know when the triggers start and end.

And OMG, this story has over 1K views! Thank you!!! \(≧∇≦)/

_________________________________________________________

When I was a few meters away from him, I jumped and tackled him into a hug, resulting in both of us falling. He was on the floor with me on top of him and I quickly let go and got on my knees. Not that I cared about the situation as I was only thinking of what I came to say to him. We remained on the floor, one of his leg bent with his elbow resting on his knee, and the other leg was stretched; I was in between his legs, with my hands balled up into fists placed on my knees, and I bowed my head apologetically.

"I'm sorry. It's only fair..." I gasped for some air before continuing as I didn't stop to take a break after the match with Tokoyami. He was puzzled as to why I was apologizing but he waited patiently until I could talk again. "that I tell you about myself when I did eavesdrop on you... yet you weren't angry at that so..." My breath was still ragged. "I will tell you everything now." He sighed in relief as if he was waiting for something worse. "It's okay, just try to catch your breath?" I laughed and stopped for a moment, trying to stabilize my breath.

There was a certain moment of uncertainty within me, but I had already decided that I can trust him and I was not going to back away from this. When I felt like I could continue, I took a deep breath and told him everything.

**TRIGGER WARNING!**

Flashback

Three years ago, I wanted to go to my (f/band)'s recital, but because it was scheduled to play late at night and me being still a kid, my parents wouldn't let me go. So I pleaded until they acceded, on the condition that I was to go with my mom. Not that it mattered to me, she was like my best friend.

So on the night of the concert we had a blast: we were singing, dancing and laughing to our hearts content. But I didn't know that would be the last time I would do those things with her. The concert finished at midnight and we walked home since it was close. However, on our way we encountered two suspicious looking man that didn't look like good news. We tried to get away from them and hopefully lose them, but they followed us and cornered us into a dark alley.

They took out their knives and pointed them at us. I was frightened and I started crying fearing for our lives but my mother kept her face neutral, though from the way she was holding my hand, trembling and tightly, I knew that she was scared too.

They wanted us to give them all the money we had. She reluctantly complied but apparently she was too slow as one of them pointed the knife very close to her neck telling her to hurry it up. I cried for help until one of them slapped me on the face saying that I was too noisy and held me up. I was frustrated at myself for not being able to do anything, and the frustration pent up even more when he actually made a cut on my mom's cheek even though she had already given her everything she had, and I couldn't contain it anymore.

I unleashed my quirk and I didn't have any control of it.

Suddenly, the buildings around us collapsed but before we were burried in it, my mother got out of the man's griasp and covered me from everything. When it all passed, I looked up to see her, only to find that her face was abnormally pale and that there was blood on her head. I cried out for her weeping, and between pants she said,

"You look ugly crying, so remember to keep your cute smile, okay?"

And thus, she collapsed on me. She was smiling till the very end. I cried and cried, and some time later, heroes got us out of there. But the damage was done. They couldn't save her, and out of the two man, one was also dead while the other was severely injured.

End of flashback

  **END OF TRIGGERS!**  

I inhaled another long breath needing to take a moment before continuing. "Do you remember when I told you I was bullied for my quirk? Well, when my classmates found out about how my mother passed away, the bullying only got worse. They started saying things like I was cursed, a murderer, that the world is better off without me... And I couldn't defend myself like I did before, because they were right. So I just smiled, because that was the only thing I could do to mask my pain... I know it sounds foolish, but it's also a way to constantly remind me of my mother... and to never forget what I did..." I gulped down as tears threatened to fall.

"And my father..." My voice broke thinking about it and my face contorted as tears began to pour down. "He never blamed me for her death, and I can't stand that. They loved each other like no other, they were so happy... and I robbed him of his most precious person. He didn't deserve that! He's such a nice person...! And that's why I can't bear to look at him in the eye, I just think of how I ruined his life and of how he still forgives me when I don't deserve it."

At this point I was sobbing whilst holding tightly on his shirt, unconsciously searching for some kind of comfort, and he gave it to me. He closed the gap between us enveloping me in a warm embrace.

"It's not your fault."

This was my breaking point and I found myself starting to weep and hiccup, soaking his shoulder with my tears. He pat my back and rubbed circles just like I did to him a while ago and he didn't say anything more but, somehow, his tiny yet tender actions were enough to comfort me.

As minutes passed by I was calming down, my cries turning to small sniffs. I let go of his shirt and looked him in the eyes. "Thank you" I whispered and he petted my head gently, gradually moving his hand down to caress my left cheek.

Then, time seemed to slow down, the background noise blurred with the beating of my heart as he slowly leaned closer and kissed me.

Next thing I remember, an announcement could be heard "Todoroki and Iida, it's time for your matches." Shouto casually got up and stroke my hair before leaving. Then the situation has finally sunk on me as I gasped and I covered my face with both my hands as it rapidly grew red.

He didn't exactly kiss me as it was a tiny peck on my right cheek, but it was enough to make my head not function anymore. Then my previous thoughts from the time I talkied with Ochako came to mind 'Whatever, I won't fall for him.'

Am I actually starting to like him? Wait!!! Does this mean that he likes me?! Nonono, it can't be... Ah, I know! It's just his way to encourage me! I-I mean, friends can k-kiss each other's cheek for that reason, right?! Aghh my mind was a mess. 

I was messing and jumbling my hair with both my hands trying to think of possible explanations. "Hey, what are you doing on the floor?" I quickly combed my hair and tried to act as normal as possible. It was Ochako. "Come on, let's see the boy's duel." I gulped down before standing up. Whatever I'm feeling right now, I better not tell Ochako because, knowing her, I fear what she'll do. 

.

.

.

In the end he didn't use his fire. I was kind of expecting to see it again, but I guess wounds don't heal that fast. In any case, he took an enourmous step before and that's all that matters.

Now, I have to fight Bakugou..........................;;;;;

I was extremely nervous but I had already promised Shouto that I'll do my best to not lose to him, so I tried to get myself together and went up the stairs.