19. What about you?

We all stopped in place, Bakugou falling flat on his face, and the crowd was cheering. 

We ended up being first place. I was of course happy to know that we could participate on the next event, but I was more concerned for Shouto... He didn't look fine...

When I was about to talk to him, the girls from class started swarming around me to congratulate me. I stood on my tiptoes as they blocked me from Shouto's view and I sighed because he was nowhere to be seen. I figured I'd go eat lunch with the girls. 

.

.

.

I fiddled with my fork, not feeling hungry at all. "Hey is everything alright?" Ochako asked me "Yeah, I guess I'm just too nervous to eat haha" I smiled so she wouldn't worry anymore. I stood up and waved a goodbye at them, and I headed to Kaminari and the other boy's table "Hey guys, wanna eat my food? I'm not hungry" They all opened their mouths filled with food in surprisement. "YOU ARE AN ANGEL, (Y/N)~~" I laughed at the compliment and without hesitation they began to munch away on the plate. 

I went outside to take some air before the competition. I remembered what Shouto had said this morning to Deku, and I was afraid that he would distance himself from us. I was this affected just by thinking about it, what would happen to me if it happened for real? Wait, 'to me'? When did I even start to care this much about him? I sighed.

"The hell are you so down about, extra? It's getting on my nerves." Bakugou scoffed beside me. "Ha, funny because I saw some Mr Explotion guy whining on the floor when he placed second" "WHAT DID YOU SAY RETARD?!" "Nothing~" and I pulled my tongue and ran away on purpose for him to follow me, and he succesfully slipped on a banana peel just casually laying there on the floor, hehe. "I DARE YOU TO DO THIS AGAIN BITCH! YOU ARE FUCKING DEAD WHEN I CATCH YOU!" I laughed and ran as fast as I could trying not to get killed for real. It cheered me up and it distracted me from my thoughts, but I stopped to a halt when I heard his voice.

Bakugou bumped into my back from my sudden stop and hurt his nose with my head. "THE F-" I shut him up muffling his loud curses with my hand, signalling him with my head to the other side, and he seemed to catch on what was happening so I put my hand down. Shouto was having a conversation with Izuku. "I'll fucking kill you next time moron" Bakugou whispered and I ignored him.

We leaned on the wall to have a better hearing of what they were saying. Although I felt bad for eavesdropping, I wanted to know if he would give a clue as to why he was acting like this all of a sudden and, hopefully, be able to help him.

"Have you ever heard of quirk marriages? He forced my mother to marry him because of her quirk, and as soon as I got my quirk he trained me to fulfill his dreams of surpassing All Might. But I won't become a tool for someone like him" I gasped at what I was hearing, now understanding the words he said the other day. As I continued to hear the conversation, I began to feel anger at Endeavour for having forced a mere child through all that.

"She called my left side unsightly before she threw boiling water at my face" At this point, I covered my mouth in fear that they would hear me as I teared up. I wanted to come out and comfort him even if a little but Bakugou stopped me. "Don't get in their way. This is something they have to solve." I reluctantly nodded and continued to hear.

"I'm definitely going to win first place without using my father's quirk" The tone in his voice told me that he was serious about this, and it pained me hearing him like that, knowing that nothing will ever change his mind.

They both left and we did too...

I parted ways with Bakugou and wandered around thinking about all the things that Shouto has revealed, until Yaoyorozu spotted me. "(Y/N), where have you been? Sensei told us that we have to wear this before the recreational games" She hurriedly gave me some clothing and I eyed her questioningly. "I'm sorry but we don't have much time to explain so hurry up" and with that she left. I quickly put the orange clothes on and hell were they revealing.

We quickly regrouped and I asked red-faced "A-Are you sure that they w-want us to put... THIS on??" "Yes, Mineta and Kaminari were instructed by Sensei to tell us to put these on" "WHAT? AND YOU TRUST THEM?" But it was too late as we were all pushed to the outside by some malice force: Mineta and Kaminari.

....

Welp, this was embarrassing. Not only were we tricked into wearing this, but the whole country, no, WORLD saw us like this. Great. I think we all agreed through our minds to give Mineta and Kaminari a slow cruel death later.

I started to cover my exposed parts with my arms but it barely changed anything. I ultimately gave up when suddenly I felt something warm over my shoulders. "Keep it" Shouto had handed me his jacket and turned his stoic face to listen to Midnight's explanation for the next event. I didn't know why but my heart thumped faster the more I saw his profile, but I quickly lowered my head remembering his story. He glanced at me and I avoided his gaze.

After Midnight finished, the recreational games started and we went inside to prepare for our matches. We were walking the hallway when Shouto stopped and asked me"Hey, what's wrong? Why are you avoiding me?"

Truthfully, my mind was a mess: there were lots of things I wanted to say to him but at the same time I couldn't form the words so I didn't reply. "(Y/N).. Speak to me". Feeling guilty I opened my mouth, but I still didn't dare look him in the eye "I heard you talking with Deku. I'm sorry..." I apologized and I saw his body turning stiff. "Shouto, I'm really sorry you had to go through that. Your dad was an ass for treating you that way and he deserves the worst, but can't you let go? I care for you and I'm afraid that if you continue like this, you will turn like him, fuelled only by hate... that you will return to your old self and distance yourself from us just to prove a point to him..."

I couldn't see his face as he lowered it, but I was suddenly cornered against the wall, his hand above my shoulder. By now he was glaring at me and I was scared of what would happen next. "And what about you? Aren't you the same, consumed by guilt and wanting to become a hero only to face your father? Isn't that ridicule? Why don't you let go too, if it's that easy, and stop pretending all the time with that smile of yours?" I was shocked by this and I ran away from him, not wanting to hear anymore of those spiteful words.