Chapter 44

Elodie’s POV

“Last show!” I exclaim happily, bursting into the dressing room. I pause in confusion when I see Harry dragging his left arm on the ground but keeping his chest up. It looked as if he was doing some weird interpretive dance or something. “What the fuck are you doing?” Niall starts laughing even harder while Lauren does her best to keep from starting.

“The anchor is so heavy but the birds want to fly,” he jokes, pretending to drag his arm some more.

“Oh my god,” I mutter, shaking my head. I look around the room, eventually finding Liam talking with Mark in the corner and drinking one of those gross protein shakes he has. I’d tried a sip of one once and the taste hadn’t left my mouth all day.

“Last show” I announce to them with a grin as I walk over. Liam glances down, giving me a quick smile and putting his arm over my shoulders, drawing me closer, before continuing his conversation with Mark. I wait with as much patience as I can muster while the two of them discuss weights and cardio and what not. I think Mark eventually sees my growing agitation. He glances at his watch before cutting Liam off, telling him they’d finish talking about it later. When he walks off, Liam finally looks to me with amusement written over his face.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you wait so long for something without making a fuss,” he teases.

“It’s the last show,” I repeat with a smile.

“I know,” he chuckles. “You’re in a good mood.”

“Mhm,” I smile, nodding my head. “So I was thinking, when the show is over, you could hurry out and I’ll have a car waiting and we can go straight to the airport.” His smile disappears and his eyebrows knit together in confusion.

“What are you talking about?” he asks.

“So we can go… New York remember?” I ask as if it’s the most obvious thing.

“We can’t go tonight,” he disagrees with a shake of his head.

“We’re having a huge end of tour party with all the crew as a way of saying thanks. I can’t just skip it.  And then we’ll need a couple days to get organized. Figure out where we’ll be staying, how long, there’s a lot of things we’ll need to figure out.

“Are you kidding me? No. I’ve waited weeks for this tour to end. I’m so tired of being here. I’m going tonight and if you want to come, fine. If not, I don’t really give a shit.” Louis clears his throat, reminding us we aren’t alone. A quick glance over shows everyone avoiding looking at us. “I’ll be on the bus packing,” I mutter. “I’ll see you after the show. Maybe.” And with that I brush past, leaving the room.

On the bus, I start throwing clothes into my bags, not paying much attention to organization. With all the new clothes I’d picked up while traveling, it was tough going to get everything to fit. My phone went off a couple times while I was stuffing the suitcases and trying to close them, but I just ignored it after I saw it was my mom. The last thing I needed was my parents trying to tell me what to do or lecture me about my life choices. All I wanted was to go to New York and have some fun. Why was that so hard for everyone to understand?

Liam’s POV

I clench my jaw as I watch her leave, embarrassed by her outburst in front of all my friends.

“Do you...uhh...want to go after her?” Lauren asks awkwardly.

“No,” I snap. If she wanted to act selfishly, she could do it by herself. She was being rude, basically saying she couldn’t wait to get away from all these people who’d been nothing but nice to her since she’d shown up. Lauren continues watching me for a moment before turning away, as if wanting to say something but finally deciding not to and everyone resumes what they’d been doing. I grab a pair of noise-cancelling headphones from my bag and put them on. I was all tense now and needed to calm down before the show started. The time before the show passes and by the time I’m on the stage I’m able to put my problems aside and have fun. It’s just like normal, having a laugh with the boys and the fans. Being thankful for the in-ears so I can retain my hearing yet still only wearing them half the time so I could hear the crowd as they sing our songs back to us. It still amazed me that I was here, let alone had people who could recite lyrics I’d written. After the encore, we bound off stage, pumped with adrenaline from the show. That is until Paul grabs my arm, separating me from the rest of the group.