Chapter 8

Elodie’s POV

I thought he’d never explode. That he’d keep trying to maintain the polite demeanor that everyone thinks they have. I was getting ready to climb out the bathroom window. I mean seriously? Who cares if I have pets or what I’m currently reading? People pretend to, but they never really do. Which is why when he finally exploded, I was relieved. I hadn’t expected him to actually get in the car though. He seemed like too much of a goody-two-shoes. I thought I’d end up just going with my friends while he returned to the safety of his security.

“Please tell me you brought a change of clothes,” I say to my friend Divya who promptly pulls out a backpack with a smile. “You’re the best,” I tell her as I pull out a pair of dark skinny jeans and a grey t-shirt. Much more comfortable than stupid white skirt and shirt my mom had insisted I wear. Granted, that outfit was better than the hot pink dress that was her first choice. I pull off the shirt and hear Mr. Polite make a strangled noise of surprise. I can’t help but smile in amusement. What else did he expect me to do when we were driving in the back of a van? No one else seemed to care. Not even the guys in here I’d hooked up with on occasion.

“So who’s the muscles?” Divya asks, glancing over at Mr. Polite.

“Oh he’s no one. Just the latest of my dad’s attempts to set me up with a good boy,” I reply with a shrug, seeing an insulted look cross his face out of the corner of my eye.

“I’m Liam,” he says to the group, but he’s pretty much ignored by everyone.

“Can we trust him?” Jace asks, giving him a once over. “He looks like he’ll spook and rat us out.” Hmm hadn’t thought of that. I look over at him, meeting his eyes as I try to determine if he’d be a tattletale.

“He’ll be fine,” I say, taking a chance. He’d stood up to my bullshit, skipped out on the bill, and lost the guards with me. Maybe there was more than meets the eye with this goody-two-shoes.

“Is anyone going to tell me what we’re doing?” he asks.

“Going to have a bit of fun,” Allison says with a smirk. The car pulls to a stop and everyone files for the door. I get there the same time Mr. Polite does and we both end up trying to fit through at once. Needless to say, we don’t fit at the same time.

“After you princess,” I say with a wink, gesturing for him to climb out before I follow suit. “You ready to see what a fun night consists of?”

Liam’s POV

Her friends made me nervous. They seemed like thugs or druggies or something. Definitely not the type of people I’d want to hang out with. And then the ease she just stripped in the car. In front of the half dozen or so people crammed in. How could she do that? I didn’t understand. I felt mildly insulted when they began talking about me as if I wasn’t even there, asking if I was trustworthy. Of course I’m trustworthy. All my friends said so. Granted, these people weren’t my friends and I had no idea what they were planning on doing. I was surprised to hear her vouch for me though. After her treatment towards me earlier, I’d half expected her to throw me out of the moving van. Nobody would answer my questions though. It was as if it was some giant secret that I wasn’t going to be let in on. Was it something illegal? Were we on the way to a drug handoff? God I hoped not. What would our fans think if they found out? They’d be so disappointed. The car pulls to a stop and everyone gets out. I ignore Elodie’s princess comment as I climb out, surveying the area. This didn’t seem like a good part of town by any means. Warehouses in a dimly lit alley surrounded us. Seemed like the perfect place to meet a drug overlord. Shit.