Chapter 7

Elodie’s POV

I couldn’t help but laugh. His request was ridiculous. A joke. He had to be kidding. Especially after I’d told him I don’t do dates in the bathroom the other night. My father looks aghast while Mr. Polite looks embarrassed. Apparently it wasn’t.

No,” I say seriously, my laughter cutting off instantly. “Absolutely not.” I was well aware that I probably was sounding like a bitch, but there wasn’t a chance on earth I was going on a date with him. I wasn’t the dating type. And he definitely wasn’t mine. Even if he was physically, the stick-up-his-ass personality was a major turnoff.

“Hold up a minute,” my dad says with a frown before turning to Mr. Polite. “Any scandals?”

“Sir?” he asks, his brow furrowing in confusion.

“Scandals? Like front-page articles. If I asked my other daughter, what would she say about you?”

“No sir, nothing. And I don’t know what she’d say about me. Most fans think of me as the responsible one.”

“Any serious relationships before?”

“A few. Last one ended a couple months ago.”

“Dad,” I protest. He was giving the third degree when I wasn’t even going to go out with him. “It’s not going to happen.”

“Don’t be rude Elodie, of course you will. Liam seems like he’s got a good head on his shoulders. Maybe it can help your image.” In other words, this was the type of guy he wanted me to be seeing. Not the kinds I always found.

“Wait I—“ Liam says, his brow furrowing with a confused expression.

“Dad!”

“If that’s all Liam, you can meet her by the security checkpoint at 7,” he suggests. Mr. Polite looks between the two of us with uncertainty, realizing I’d pretty much just been forced into this. But he nods his head, finally leaving the room. God damn it. My dad turns to look at me with a frown and I can tell we were about to resume the conversation from earlier.

“I talked to your mother about your stunt last night and we decided on your punishment. You’ll be sent to Christian Military wi—“

“Military school?” I explode in disbelief.

“With an escort who will watch over you even more,” he continues as if he hadn’t heard me.

“I’m not going to a military school,” I argue.

“You’ve been acting out more than usual lately. You have three months left of school before you’ll be out on your own. College is probably too much to hope for with your permanent record but I’ll be damned if my daughter doesn’t finish high school. Marcus will be selecting someone from the team to go with you to keep an extra eye on you. This is it Elodie. Don’t mess it up,” he warns. I want to scream. I’d been to half the boarding schools in the country it seemed, but never a military school. Oh god.

“I’ll runaway,” I threaten. “They won’t be able to keep me there even a week.”

“It’s fenced in. There are guard posts. You won’t be able to get out,” he says, waving off my threats. “You brought this on yourself Elodie. You only have yourself to blame.”

“When?” I say through clenched teeth.

“Tomorrow evening.”

“I’ll be back before the school year is out, you can count on it,” I snarl. He just shakes his head, the usual look of disappointment on his face.