Chapter 29

Elodie’s POV

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I say quietly, turning away from him. He’d practically become a permanent fixture in our bus. It had been 4 days since I’d broken in front of him and I was still bed-ridden. Apparently sitting in a freezing cold shower for hours weakened your immune system. I fucking hate the flu. He doesn’t say anything as I turn away though. Actually, now that I think about it, I’m not sure if I’ve heard him say one word since the doctor. I’ll wake up, see him, and say I don’t want to talk about it and he’ll just nod his head, returning to his computer or book or whatever it is he’s doing. The few times he wasn’t there because he was at a show or photo-shoot or whatever, when he was done he’d come back to the bus and take a seat on the bunk next to mine. I don’t know why he cared so much. It had to be boring for him. The others stopped in occasionally, but they rarely stayed longer than a quick hello. I got the sense they knew this was more than just being sick, but they didn’t ask. Not that I’d tell them the truth even if they did. I used to dream of the relief I’d feel from someone else knowing my secret, but the way Liam looked at me now just made me cringe. As I face the wall, I try to shift my thoughts from the current train of thought, but it was impossible. I’d never be able to escape it. It used to be, I could turn my thoughts to shallow, petty things during the day and only the nights would torture me. I used to wake up with cold sweats, narrowly escaping my nightmares. But now, lying here sick in bed and knowing Liam knew, even my daytime thoughts were plagued. I turn back over, studying him as he fixates his attention on his computer. Why was he doing all this?

“You don’t have to be here you know,” I find myself saying. He looks up in surprise.

“I know,” he acknowledges.

“There’s other things you could be doing.”

“Probably,” he says with a small nod.

“So why aren’t you?”

“Do you want me to?” he asks, turning the question around on me. I open my mouth to tell him yes, but the words get stuck. Instead, I just turn to face the wall again, listening as he shifts on his bunk to get more comfortable. I hear the door to the main area open and I glance over my shoulder to see Lou standing there, her hands resting on Lux who was wearing one of those surgical masks.

“I don’t think--” Liam starts to say.

“It’s ok,” I interrupt and Lou releases Lux who walks hesitantly to my bed. I move over to allow her to climb up and she settles into the crook of my arm.

“She was missing her drawing buddy,” Lou says as Lux takes out her little coloring book and set of crayons. “I hope this is ok.”

“Of course it is. Thanks,” I say and a small smile of relief flashes on her face before she heads back out, leaving Liam, Lux and I alone. I run my fingers through her hair as she colors in the picture of Minnie Mouse.

“There’s something about kids,” I muse as I look down at her. “They’re so innocent. They don’t realize what’s out there.”

“Is that why you were so quick to protect Maddie?” Liam asks hesitantly, as if he’s worried I’d either snap or ignore him. Instead I smirk for a split second before it slides off my face again.

“And Melissa had it coming,” I accede. “But I suppose so. People like Maddie, sure they can feel pain like anyone else. But naturally they are just so happy and accepting of everything. So quick to forget about the bad things. It’s a bit like the eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, you know what I mean? I wish everyone could stay like that.” I say, my eyes not leaving Lux. She looks up at me, the surgical mask looking funny on her tiny face. It makes me want to smile, but I can’t and she soon looks back down at her picture, turning the page to begin coloring the next. I lay my head back against the headboard and dropping my arm to her side as I go back to staring at the wall. Talking was tiring and soon I find myself drifting off to sleep.