Over the River and Through the Woods

*Again, I'm a writer not an artist!  Map of the route.

For the first time in seven years since the packs started doing the run, it became an all out battle of superiority. However, many underestimated the terrain. The swift river current from the river separating Dark Moon West and Blackhawk Pack swept away ten of the visiting supernaturals right off the bat. One of the guest supernaturals and a council liaison fell in the forests between Blackhawk and Harvest Moon.

They lost twenty guest supernaturals when it came time to scale the rockface at Crescent Falls. Many breathed a sigh of relief at the easy white sand terrain on the outskirts of the elf territory Biely. Frost Moon was surrounded by mountains with flowing rivers. They lost ten more guests and two council liaisons leaving Alpha Meridian and ten guests. The werewolves were barely breaking a sweat. Even first timers Erion and Rico were keeping up.

Once they got to Oak Moon, half the wolves began to fall back. The pace was faster than they were used to and many of the non-alphas and betas were burnt out. Another guest also fell out of the running. Hakon, Indigo, Fenri, Ozmas, Aeremos – one of the mer, a golem named Pike, and a cradle witch named Autumn were still keeping pace with the alphas.

At Moonstone, several betas dropped out. Erion and Rico began showing signs of fatigue but stubbornly refused to quit. Sloan and Ari slowed their pace and ran with their mates as a show of encouragement and support on their first run. They made it to Erion's home pack and collapsed on the steps to the packhouse. During the break in which Dom delivered an invitation to former alpha Whitebeard, Erion's father, everyone stopped to rest and rehydrate.

Autum's citrine eyes shone with excitement.  "This is truly exciting."

"Indeed," Pike said stretching.  "I haven't felt this invigorated in a long time."

"We never do stuff like this at the coven. This is fun."

Indigo spoke to the alphas who were barely sweating.  "I see why you guys are the best. This course is madness! Climbing a rockface while water beats down on you-"

"Running through forests and jumping ravines-"

Ozmas rubbed his shoulder.  "Rivers with ridiculously powerful currents-"

"And, Alpha Frost, that mountain!" Aeremos shook his head.

Snow chuckled.

Meridian gave a small smile.  "I'm truly impressed."

Dom gave a slight bow.  "Thank you."

"Thank you for inviting us on this run," Indigo held out his hand.  "I would be proud to run with Dark Moon and their allies-my friends, any day."  They shook and did a bro hug.  The others went around doing the same.  Little did they know exactly what this moment meant.

Ari clapped and rubbed his hands together.  "Well, if we're done being nice, it's time to get serious."

They all perked up.

"From here on there's another river and a cornfield that leads into some tall grass. Then we get into Dark Moon North and straight out to Dark Moon Central."

Raven had been staring off into space and suddenly shook his head.  "Oh, sorry Alpha. We're running back to Dark Moon West."

"Oh mannn!"  Sloan mumbled.  The others groaned and complained as well.

"Why?" Dom asked.

"Alpha-sub Verde's orders," Raven replied. 

Everyone turned to glare at Cisero. He held his hands up. "Don't blame me. I'm here running too."