Putting Alpha in Place

Start from the beginning

His eyebrows pinched in concentration as he recalled the information. "Non-fighting weres are pregnant for three months. Fighting weres about two and a half. Alphas forty to fifty days."

Flavian's eyes widened. "Wow!"

"Why so short?" Szymon asked with fascination.

"Alphas are the strongest. Pregnancy makes us almost as weak as an omega. Back in the day enemies used to use that time to attack packs, killing alpha and heir. It's just our body's way of cutting down the time of vulnerability to ensure survival of the child and carrier."

Samshin rubbed his silver and white beard. "No wonder you're showing so fast."

Bunny nodded. "We know we're pregnant about three days after conception."

"Amazing." Martem sat on one of the benches, pulling Raoul into his lap and rubbing his stomach.

"How about dragons?" Chevy asked. He winced as little Barbosa jabbed his ribs. How Bunny did it with twins, he couldn't fathom.

Flavian picked up an empty box and sighed. "Ten long agonizing months."

Verde dropped the basket he was holding. "Ten!?"

Flavian nodded flinging his cherry red hair over his shoulder. "That's for warm carriers. Egg layers it's two years before the child is born."

"Wow."

"A dragon's life is long and we don't breed heavy like other species because of our power and longevity."

Samshin could related.  The mer also didn't have many offspring.  "Makes sense. Can't have too many super powerful beings dominating a space."

An unpleasant voice interrupted their discussion.

"I didn't know we were going to the zoo."

They cringed as they came face to face with Chevy's ex-mate, Alpha Thorne of Harvest Moon and his mate. Neither had improved in appearance or demeanor. His mate looked like he was bored and would rather be anywhwere else but at Dark Moon.

He smirked walking around the witch with the afro puffs looking her up and down. "I couldn't believe it when I heard the news that so many supernaturals were staying with Dark Moon and its three main allies." He stepped back as Samshin grabbed the young witch and pulled her behind him.

"Rather impressive collection of beasts," his eyes landed on Szymon and Flavian.

Verde started forward. His wolf was enraged. There was no way in hell someone was going to come onto his packlands and insult his guests. Ally or not. Before he could say anything, Chevy opened his mouth.

"Alpha Thorne, It isn't wise to insult the new Supernatural Defense Pact Alpha De La Vega and the other Allied Packs are working on."

Everyone in Thorne's party was suddenly wide eyed with their mouths hanging. Thorne took a step back and looked at the supernaturals present in disbelief. "These?  They hardly look worthy."

"These are the ones that chose to stay behind and help. The rest are on the run. If you sabotage their efforts, Commander Barbosa might rethink that loan you asked for last week."

He grit his teeth. Bad enough he had to stoop low and ask for financial assistance from the six younger pack alphas, but this sub knew and now these supers knew. "Ho-how do you know about that?"

Chevy smirked. "I'm his mate. We don't keep secrets."

He wrinkled his nose looking the young were up and down. "Pffft. Yeah right. He mated to a beastly sub like you?"

Chevy uncovered his scent. The spicy smell of Dom mixed with his own fruity smell and the milk and honey smell of their child filled the air.

Thorne's eyes widened. "M-my apologies. If you'll excuse me." He turned on his heel dragging his sub with him.

Flavian loudly clapped his hands. "That was beautifully done."

Szymon nodded. "Yes, I quite agree."

"He is the reason supers think lowly of weres," Samshin replied sadly.

Martem's nails retracted as his eyes returned to normal. "I'm glad I saw for myself not all were are ignorant, snarling, pack animals thirsty for power."

Chevy blushed as Verde proudly patted him on the back. "Glad to help."

*So...a question to you all.  I was asked a few times in emails  if I had pics of the characters.  I'm not one for picture books.  Would you be interested or would it help you some if I gave you a rough idea of what they look like or does it matter to you?

**Next chapter is all about the run.