Sparks Fly

Exhausted, Laila crashed onto her bed. College had started a week ago and she already felt drained. She hated that place. After this summer, that place was becoming intolerable for her. She missed Amina. She missed Hassan. She missed Ismail. It had been more than a week since she had last seen them. She had met Amina but only briefly. Amina's family was over from America for her brothers wedding and she had been busy with them so the two had been unable to go to Lakshami Chowk. Laila didn't exhibit her disappointment at this to Amina but she was yearning to meet the boys. She was even missing Hassan and his gentleness.

It was a Friday today and Laila called Amina to try to coerce her to go to Lakshami Chowk.

"Hey busy girl," Laila said.

Amina laughed amongst the clamor that was going on around her house in the background. It was a full house.

"So I was thinking, its been a really long time since you and Hassan met. Everything good?" Laila started.

"Everything's great! He knows I'm busy but he misses me. I do too. So much," she said in a sad voice.

"Yeah I bet you do. If you wanna go today, we can," Laila offered without giving herself away. Or so she thought.

Amina began to laugh and in-between laughs said, "Oh if I wanna go. What about you? I don't want to trouble you," Amina said mischievously.

"No, no trouble at all," she replied, maybe too hastily.

Amina's laugh intensified, "Aww are you missing a certain someone?" she asked cheekily.

Laila blushed and smiled. Nothing of hers could get past Amina, "What? I was only asking for you," she said, trying to sound offended.

"Okay okay let me see if I can get out. Ill call you in ten minutes," Amina replied and cut the call.

Forgetting her fatigue Laila got up from the bed to change her clothes. The whole time, a nervous smile was painted on her face.

Disappointment coursed through her as the face she wanted to see failed to present itself.

"He'll be back anytime now," Hassan said with a grin pasted on.

"What?" Laila stated dumbly cursing herself for how obviously she was seeking Ismail.

"Ismail comes back around this time is what I mean," Hassan replied.

"Um, okay? Why would I care?" Laila retorted desperately trying to appear nonchalant.

"Okay, okay. Just thought you may want to know," he said with a mischievous smile.

"I don't," Laila muttered and looked away wanting this conversation to end. Even though the conversation itself had made her uncomfortable, she found herself getting excited at the prospect that she'd get to meet Ismail after all.

This wasn't okay. She couldn't be this evidently happy about the thought of seeing him. About the thought of him. She shouldn't even admit it to herself let alone let other people know that she...liked him?

No, no way. Not possible Laila thought and immediately expelled this thought from her head before it could poison her mind.

But she could betray the world, she could even betray her brain but what would she do about that damned beating heart?

Ignore it.

Time ticked away as she sat and patiently witnessed the sap show that were Amina and Hassan. The three of them had grown so comfortable in each others company over the summer that they no longer considered her a third wheel. She was always just there. Admittedly, she hadn't been quite an integral part in their relationship for the last month's courtesy of Ismail and his friendship. But as their visit was nearing the two-hour mark, Ismail was still a no show. Laila was slowly realizing what a ridiculous idea this was. How could she let it get to the point where she was literally begging for Amina to go to a boy's house who didn't even have the courtesy to show up. He didn't know she was here, yes but that wasn't something irrational Laila wanted to consider. This was an impulsive decision and Laila wasn't an impulsive person and now she realized that was for the best.

"Amina lets go. I have university tomorrow," Laila finally said after two grueling hours of waiting and expectation.

She wanted to cry.

Undoubtedly, she was PMSing.

"Oh, okay," Amina said in a sad tone as she looked at Hassan with puppy dog eyes. Today especially, Laila couldn't digest the sap so she looked away with a grimace.

As she was grabbing her bag to leave, the door opened. Of course it did.

In walked Ismail looking tired and worn out with sagged shoulders and bags under those stupefying hazel eyes. But as soon as they looked up and into eagerly waiting brown ones, the fatigue from them was gone replaced by a light that the eyes hadn't had for a very long time. None of the owners of the eyes noticed the spark, but a higher power that had placed the spark in the two eager eyes did.

_________________________________________________________________

Hi guys! I'm so sorry this upload is so late! I had really bad writers block. But back at it! I hope you enjoyed this. Please VOTE AND COMMENT to let me know what you thought :))