She's back (Full Chapter)

Laila continued to stare at the closed door, open mouthed. She still couldn't comprehend what had happened to her. No one had ever spoken to her the way Ismail just had. Even her parents hadn't ever raised her voice at her.

She didn't know how to react. She didn't know whether she should cry, whether she should laugh. Truly, she wasn't even hurt by what Ismail said. In fact, deep down, she realized whatever he said was true. It was true that she was spoiled and it was also true that she really didn't care that she was. The words didn't hurt or shock her. It was the way they were delivered. In such a cold tone.

The shock was soon replaced by anger that was fuelled by her hurt ego. He had the goddamn nerve to ask her who she was. Who did he think he was? A fucking low life that didn't even deserve to have a place in Laila's life in the first place. He was scum. Plain and simple. Scum that didn't even deserve to be in close proximity with Laila let alone have the nerve to disrespect her like that.

Laila realized what she needed to do in that moment.

She needed to go back to her roots. She needed to be Laila Ali Khan once again. The bitch that no one could dare cross.

She took out her phone and dialed a number she hadn't dialed in more than a year.

"Hey are you free? Think I'm ready for that coffee date."

"I really didn't think you'd come around to meeting me," Sheheryar said as he slid Laila's chair into the table at the busy coffee shop in Lahore's blooming center.

"Neither did I," Laila said with a sickly sweet smile then added, "But I realize the importance of connecting with old friends."

"Yeah, yeah," Ismail said.

They lapsed into an uncomfortable silence which was highly unlikely for the old friends as they continued to stare out the large window.

Sheheryar was the first to start talking.

"So what have you been up to?"

What a generic question thought Laila as she quashed the urge to roll her eyes at his predictability.

"Nothing much. Usually just busy with university," Laila offered an equally generic answer.

"Oh yeah! How's that going? Do you still write?" he asked.

Laila tensed up immediately after he mentioned the writing.

She hadn't written anything ever since the whole ordeal with Shereyar had gone down. She had tried to but all she could write were depressing, bitter poems. Mainly about how the worst creation God had ever made were men.

"Um, yeah I've been writing here and there," she said instead of venting on about how, no she hadn't written a single word ever since he had humiliated her because all she wanted to write about was either about killing him or herself.

"That's great Lal, you should never stop. You're amazing at it," he said, looking into her eyes, knowing he was affecting her by using his nickname for her.

Laila looked away. Had she not been in full bitch mode she would've melted into a puddle.

But not today. Today, she was ready to skin any boy that struck the wrong nerve, alive.

The sickly sweet smile returned accompanied by an equally fake, sweet 'Thank you.'

Sheheryar frowned at the girl that looked like his past best friend but sure as hell didn't feel like her. The Laila that sat in front of him was the Laila the world got to see, not the actually sweet and caring Laila that was only reserved for him and Amina.

But who was Shereyar to complain. He had only himself to blame for this change. What he had done to her the last summer was absolutely unforgiveable and the guilt of it had been eating at him for the last full year.

"Laila...." he started to say but then trailed off. What should he say? He could he say that would take the bitter edge out of their friendship that he had created. But he knew he had to say something. The damage was done that was for sure, but that didn't mean he still couldn't try to save the last bits of friendship they had.

"Laila," this time he said with more conviction in his voice, demanding her attention.

Laila lazily turned to look at him and cocked her head to the side, saying nothing.

"Laila, I know what I did last year practically ruined our friendship. Could I have handled the situation any better? Hell yes I could've. But I didn't because I'm an idiot. You of all people know how much of an idiot I really am," he said, getting more and more emotional towards the end.

He continued, "But that doesn't excuse the fact that I hurt you. And I hurt you real bad and....the only thing I can say, the only thing I can offer is an apology." He reached across the table and held Laila's hand. All the noise of the busy coffee shop drowned out. The various acquaintances of Laila and Shereyar's that were teeming in the café disappeared. For him, right now, there was only her and across the table the previously cold, detached Laila was feeling the same.

"I'm sorry Lal. I'm so sorry. I love you and you're my best friend. Knowing that you're hurt because of me is killing me and it has been for the last year. I'm sorry I can't be what you want me to be. That I can't feel the way you want me to feel. I'm sorry for being an ass...for being a horrible, horrible friend. I'm just...sorry," he finished off with a sigh, tears brimming in his rich brown eyes.

As for Laila, tears were openly trickling down her face. Everything that she had felt for him in the past year came crashing down at this one moment and she couldn't take the onslaught of emotions. The truth was that he was her best friend and she had missed him. She had missed their talks and their arguments and their banter. She had missed his essence. More than the humiliation, what affected her was the gaping hole Shereyar had left behind when he had left. And she had filled that hole with hatred for him. But today, after the sincerest apology she had ever heard, she realized that she was wrong. She could never hate this guy. She loved him. In every way.

With tears still streaking down her face she got up from her seat, walked across to where Shereyar sat and enveloped him in a massive hug. She clung to him and cried into his shoulder as he got up and wrapped his arms around her, stroking her hair.

They stood like this, thankfully at the corner of the café rather than the middle for a couple of moments before finally breaking apart, looking at each other with goofy grins.

They could both feel the eyes of everyone in the café on them and honestly both were feeling just a little awkward. But the awkwardness was crushed under the weight of the euphoric feeling they were experiencing.

No matter how bad Lailas life was going these past couple of weeks, she was happy. She had her best friend back. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry that i haven't posted in AGES! I had my exams and a little bit of writers block! Both are gone now :D 

I hope you guys enjoy this! And thankyou to my readers for sticking with me while i was gone! I love you all! <3 

VOTE   AND   COMMENT! <3