Pandoras Box

"Sorry I couldn't join you guys earlier," he said.

Laila continued walking in pace with him knowing he was purposefully slowing his gait. He walked tall and with eloquence. She liked that about him. She liked many things about him.

"Its alright," she replied in a soft voice. She wanted to ask why he hadn't joined them, but she was still hesitant around him.

"I'm glad you're here though. I also wanted to give Amina and Hassan some space," she chuckled.

"What do you mean 'also'?" he questioned with a slight frown.

"I mean, that's why we went away from there right?" she replied.

"No. We went away because I wanted to walk with you. We can go back if that's not what you want," he said whilst looking at her from the side.

He wanted to walk alone with her thought Laila, surprised at this. She could feel her face getting warmer, probably turning red.

"No, no, yeah let's walk," she babbled with a hesitant chuckle.

Why did he want to walk with her? Did he find her interesting? Was that too much to hope for?

"So, any plans for the rest of your holidays?" he asked after a moment.

Laila scoffed and said, "Rest? There are barely four or five days left."

He nodded his head and continued, "I see you don't want to go back. Not even after three months?"

Laila shook her head and grimaced, "Not really."

"Why not? If you don't mind me asking," he politely asked.

"I think you're the one who's going to mind asking. I have a whole list. A whole freaking book," she said bitterly.

He began laughing. A good, hearty laugh from the back of his throat.

"There must be a start. Something you hate more than anything else," he cajoled.

She let out a frustrated sigh. Why was he talking about such a depressing topic on such a delightful day?

"Well, the people I guess. I don't like the people there. They're so...," she trailed off, not knowing how to describe people like herself.

"Fake?" he offered.

She let out a short, humorless laugh, "Yeah."

"The teachers too! I thought favoritism ended once you got into university but I guess not," she continued.

Ismail was about to say something but she cut him off, "But also the education system itself. Why is my whole academic year dependent on three freaking hours?" she complained.

Ismail nodded, seeming to be deep in thought.

"I understand you. It really is unfair," he put in his two cents.

"Was it the same at your university?" she asked, not probing but also questioning.

"Um, not really, no," he replied.

"Lucky," she murmured but didn't ask anything more.

They walked in silence, a sizable distance between them. No one was speaking but somehow, Laila was okay with it.

"How're you okay with all of this?" Ismail suddenly asked.

The abrupt question threw her off.