Keeping promises

1 week later,

Laila grimaced as she looked at her phone screen and saw her mother's face staring up at her. This was the third time her mother was calling and Laila knew if she didn't pick up this time, she would be in trouble. She answered her phone and was greeted with her mom's calm, mildly going on overly annoyed voice. "Hello?" "Where are you Laila?" her mom asked in a stern tone. "I'm at Shereyars, Amma," she replied. There was a pause at the other end. Her mom knew exactly which Shereyar she was talking about. Shereyar had been adored by her mother prior to Laila and his fight, and Laila knew for a fact that her mother was dead set on the fact that the pair would eventually end up together.

When that didn't happen and she heard about their fight, she was hurt and disappointed and that hurt showed when she continued, "Come home this minute" she said and promptly hung up.

Laila winced. She had expected her mom to be a little upset that Laila was meeting Shereyar again but she didn't expect such a cold response. After the initial disapproval she assumed that the hurt would be masked by joy at the fact that they were friends again. Maybe Laila's mom saw what Laila was refusing to comprehend.

Shereyar and Laila would never be together.

She let out a long deep sigh and got up from the sofa she was lounging on with Shereyar. The two were meeting constantly the past week and looking at them now, one would never know that the two hadn't spoken in over a year. Was that a good sign? Or had Laila forgiven him too quickly, too easily?

"You're leaving?" asked Shereyar, catching her hand in his. Unlike a year ago, Laila only felt the warmth of human touch but the accompanying butterflies of the past was missing.

"Yeah, Amma called", she said and looked at him, smiling.

"Oh, I have to meet Aunty soon," he sheepishly said.

Laila let out a short laugh and said, "Don't think that's the best thing at the moment."

Shereyar laughed awkwardly but didn't say anything more.

"Alright, I'll see you soon then," Laila said while grabbing her bag from the couch.

Shereyar got up from his place on the couch and hugged her.

He had definitely become more physical since the last year that was for sure, thought Laila. Maybe, he just missed her, or maybe he was still feeling guilty. She hugged him back, then with a departing smile, left his house.

"Mama!" Laila yelled out once she got home.

"I'm here", she called back from the living room. Laila walked towards the living room but stopped when she heard laughter and voices coming from the room.

Laila was about to head upstairs to her room, in no mood of meeting guests when she recognized the voice accompanying her mother. It was Amina.

What was she doing here? Thought Laila. It had been more than a week since the two had seen each other or even talked. Amina had called Laila many times after the incident at Hassan but Laila hadn't picked up. She was angry at her and didn't want to talk. Amina hadn't bothered trying for the rest of the week.

Slowly Laila stepped into the living room to see her mom and Amina sitting on the porcelain white sofas, laughing about something.

The laughter died down once they noticed Laila in the room.

"What are you doing here?" Laila asked Amina her tone both curious and spiteful.

"You girls talk, I am going out" Laila's mom said and she quickly exited the room, realizing that this was a problem for the girls to solve.

Laila crossed her arms and continued staring at Amina as if demanding an explanation of her presence in her house.

"God Laila can you at least sit?" Amina exclaimed throwing up her hands. "First you tell me why you're here? Was Hassan finally too busy for you?" Laila said, her bitterness and jealousy towards Hassan, his and Amina's relationship leaking towards the end.

Amina winced at the remark. Maybe she deserved that one.

"Laila I'm here to apologize. Please come sit", she pats the spot next to her. Reluctantly Laila went and sat down on the sofa opposite Amina's.

"Well?" Laila asked after a couple of moments of awkward silence.

"Look I know how you've been feeling for the past months and I know I am the sole cause of that.

Laila nodded her head appreciating at least that Amina was owing up to her fault.

"And I know that my relationship with Hassan has rubbed you the wrong way..." at this Laila cut her off. "No Amina, it's not your relationship that rubbed me the wrong way, it was how you are handling this relation that's rubbing me the wrong way.

"You do things that I don't even have a clue off! And honest to God I do not care whether you do anything with Hassan or not! I really, really don't! But, unfortunately, as your best friend, no matter what I do, I end up being concerned for you. I am concerned whether you are safe or not! That's all that I do! Show concern!" she exhaled heavily as she poured her frustration and anger of the past few weeks out in these words. She was done. She was done feeling used.

"Laila...." Amina trailed off, not knowing what to say. She was feeling like the shittest person on earth for making her best friend feel this way.

She realized that what she was doing to Laila was wrong. She knew that not knowing where Amina was or what she was up to was probably torturous for Laila. But she had been selfish as to the effect that her actions would have on other people. On her, on Laila, on her family. She had been blinded by love and fear like a rabid dog. She was acting like a horrible, selfish bitch. But she was done with that. She was done making her best friend feel like this. No matter how much she loved Hassan, Laila still came first.

"Laila, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I know...I know what I've done to you the past weeks wasn't okay at all, by any means. I was so swept away and sidetracked by Hassan that I didn't stop to see that maybe I was trampling you in the process. I have no one but myself to blame. I love Hassan, but I still love you more. And I cannot express how sorry I am for forgetting that and making you feel this way. I promise you, from now on, once again, no secrets ever," Amina delivered her monologue, each word coming from a place in her heart only reserved for her best friend.

The girls sat in silence for a while, each crying, Amina loudly with the occasional hiccup and Laila silently.

"Amina...you're my best friend. And I'm honestly so tired of fighting with you. I'm trusting you this one time. I'm trusting that you'll do the right thing. And if you cannot...."

Amina wiped away her tears and took a hold of Laila's hand, "I will Laila, I promise I will."

Laila smiled sadly at her friend, hoping and praying that this time she actually would.

\X>xZ