Meet the Khans

Together the four of them began to walk back to where Laila had just come out of. The car had been parked in the opposite direction to which Laila was running to. Amina still hadn't let go of Laila so both girls walked in unison, Amina's arm draped around Laila's shoulders, her head resting on one of her shoulder.

By the time they reached the car, it was already past ten p.m. Laila knew she'd have to explain to her parents where she'd been and she was not looking forward to it one bit. Laila was about to get in the driver's seat when Hassan piped up, "Laila, do you mind if I drive?"

At first Laila was confuse by his request. Then she realized it was probably because she was in no state to drive. She just nodded, not wanting to argue about the logic of Hassan's plan.

"How will you come back, Hassan?" Amina asked, worried for him still.

"Don't worry about me. I'm not going to let you both go alone all the way to Defense this late," he said, leaving no room for argument.

"But, what if someone saw you with us?" Amina asked, concern evident on her face.

Hassan smiled and took Amina's hand in his. "We'll be careful. Don't worry."

Amina still had a frown on her face but nonetheless agreed.

"Well, at least you both should sit in the front so no one can see us with you," Amina said.

Laila smiled faintly, thinking back to last week when Amina had been adamant on seating Laila and Ismail together. With the plan decided, the four of them got into Laila's car and drove off towards Laila's house. They decided it would be safer to go to Laila's house as Amina's house would be surrounded by her father's guards that might recognize her in the car.

The thirty minute car ride was silent for Laila. She still had not gotten over the evenings events. The other three in the car seemed to respect that and gave her, her privacy.

Hassan stopped the car a few blocks from Lailas house and asked her to take the drivers seat. She did so reluctantly. She was mentally and physically exhausted and all she wanted to do was crash in her bed. Maybe cry some more.

Before the boys left, Hassan turned towards Laila.

"Laila...I cannot convey to you how extremely sorry I feel," he said in a guilt ridden voice.

"Hassan, whatever happened, was not your fault. At all. It was mine if we are to blame anyone. I should have never gone out alone," she said to him sincerely.

"I'm still very sorry. I should have never taken you-both of you- to a place such as that," he said, looking at Amina towards the end.

"Hassan, you showed me one of the most spectacular sights I have ever seen in my life. Please don't ever apologize for that," Laila said, smiling as she reminisced the evening scene that had stolen her breath and heart.

Hassan also smiled faintly and nodded.

Then, Laila turned towards the guy she thought she hated.

"Thank you...for everything," she said to him, too ashamed to look him in the eyes. He had saved her despite all the horrible things she had spewed at him in the haveli.

"No need," was all he said and when Laila looked up to face him, he had a trace of that amused smile on his face.

She couldn't say anything back. Couldn't do anything else. Her heart skipped a beat. Her heart skipped a beat.